Chapter 17

My eyes seem to open on their own and look over to see Eren staring off into nothing, his eyes looking dull.

The light from the oil lamps outside the cage is getting duller. Once the light goes out, it'll be completely dark in here. I glance at Eren again, but he doesn't seem to notice.

I make my way to the edge of the cage, sitting down and trying to fit my hand through the tight bars.

"Alice stop, you'll get your hand stuck." I hear Eren's voice behind me, but it sounds so far away.

"I can't, the light..." I manage to get my hand through, but Eren wraps his hand around my arm, preventing me from attempting to squeeze it through the rest of the way.

"Stop." He repeats quietly. I listen and roughly pull my hand back inside.

The metal doors open again, a man walks in holding a bucket and a dirty towel. He kicks the side of the cage as if he expects us to run to the other side like scared dogs. Without a word, he unlocks the cage and tosses the towel in before dropping the bucket on the floor. Somehow, the water inside doesn't spill out this time.

"Enjoy, freaks." He spits before leaving the room and slamming the door behind him.

I wait a few minutes before bringing the towel and bucket to where Erin and I were sitting. He takes the rag and rings it out in the water before lightly wiping my cheek. I don't flinch in pain anymore; I don't feel much of anything.

Erin hands me the towel once he's done, and I ring it out before sweeping his bangs back and lightly dabbing it across the cut on his forehead. He doesn't react either, his eyes are fixed on the ground.

We sit in silence again for a few minutes before I drop the towel in the bucket and push it towards the door of the cage. Neither of us moves for a while, just sitting in front of each other with our legs crossed. I notice shadows moving from under the large metal door and I watch them until they stop, and the door opens.

"G' morning," I've grown to hate that sarcastic tone in his voice, just hearing it makes my blood boil. "I wonder who it's gonna be today."

The man, who still thinks he's my uncle, enters the room, leaving the metal door wide open. I don't pay attention as he bounces his finger between Eren and me, trying to decide which one of us he's going to drag into the backroom this time. Instead, I watch the people behind him on the other side of the door, running around frantically.

Someone else runs into the room, leaning a hand on the doorway. "Sir, there's a group-"

The man doesn't have time to finish his sentence, as my "uncle" spins around, almost growling at him. "What?" He hisses. I can't see his expression, but I can hear the anger in his voice.

The other man stares back nervously, "A group o' men broke in, we're tryin' to fight 'em off but we can't keep up."

"Well, whaddya want me to do 'bout it? Yer all grown, figure it out!"

"But sir, they-" He's cut off again, but this time it's by screams and shouts coming from the hallway.

I look over at Eren, a hopeful look in his eyes, before I return my gaze to my "uncle."

"Hang tight." He smirks before running off, following the lead of the other man.

I turn to Eren again, a sudden rush of energy coursing through me. "Do you think...?"

He nods, seeming to share my enthusiasm, "It's got to be, but either way we're getting out of here today."

I grin for the first time in a long time, and he smiles back. Quickly rising to my feet, I make my way to the door of the cage. I hadn't bothered messing with the lock before, knowing I'd have nowhere to go once I left the room. It's just a simple gate latch; no lock, no intricate handle. I manage to wriggle my fingers through the smaller bars and lift the bottom of the latch. Using my other hand, I push it to the right until the door swings open.