Chapter 13- Somebody Else

Boy I wish I never met you…

It has been days since Russell texted me. I even decided to work on my day off to get my mind off of things. I even avoided Austin’s visits to the condo unit every time, thanks to Cecilia’s call warnings. Because of that, after work, I would be staying in my car until Cecilia told me it was safe to go home. I couldn’t avoid though, Austin coming to visit me at work. He only visited me on the days he knew I had work, but sometimes he didn’t. Eventually when it was time for him to go back to California, it was Seahawk Sunday. Yes, today, I chose not to watch and Austin didn’t either, since he is an Eagles fan. He knew I would be at work.

 As he enters, he stares at me, hoping I would once again look into his eyes and have that moment with him again.

 “Still avoiding me?” Austin asks as he confronts me across the counter.

 “I just don’t think getting back together with you is right,” I claim.

 “I wanted you to move on from that mingy quarterback and come back with me,” Austin says as he grabs my two hands and kisses them softly.

 I quickly pull away. “It’s not easy getting over a crush.”

 Austin sighs and stares at me with those evil, disappointed eyes. “I’ll be waiting at your place when you’re done. My flight doesn’t leave till tonight at 9.”

 I avoid his gaze as a few customers come in. Austin still looks at me as he leaves the shop.

 Hours later, after my shift, I eventually decide to come home to leave Austin on a goodbye note. Something urged me to go. Before I leave, I find out on twitter that the Seahawks lost against the Cowboys at home. It became predictable when I didn’t watch. I’m kind of superstitious when it comes to Seahawks games’ wins and losses. I think about it, texting Russell “sorry about the loss,” but I delete the message immediately. I come home, finding Austin talking to someone on the couch in the living room. The voices stop as I open the door, Austin turns, but I don’t see the other person he was talking to. From the sounds of what I heard, there was another male voice in the room. It must be Alex.

 I slowly walk into the living room and turn to the corner to face the couch. The other male was Russell. Russell stands from his seat and walks towards me. I stare up at his face, only seeing his face in disappointment.

 “Why didn’t you tell me?” Russell asks, sounding hurt.

 I don’t say a word.

 Russell looks at Austin then back at me. “Your buddy called me up and sent me here.”

 My eyes start to drift towards Austin. Austin’s smile looks weak, but I could tell he intended to do this because he wanted to see me happy. To be honest, I’m not happy. I’m confused and hurt. I continue to remain silent as I stare at Russell’s chest, avoiding his intense gaze towards me.

 “That’s great you like me, but…I…” Russell hesitates for a moment. I look up at his gaze as he stares hard at the ground, trying to figure out the right words to say. I take in a short breath as I’m about to speak, but my mind overpowers me with negative thoughts that I shut myself out from speaking.

 Russell notices, so he hugs me.

 “You love the girl,” I choke out as I feel my eyes beginning to well up. I hold them back as he continues to hold me in his grasp.

 “…yes,” he manages to say.

 “Then what was Arizona about…?”

 “It was only to make up for everything,” Russell quickly replies.

 “Then why did you stay behind and stare at Austin and I kiss?” I ask as my voice raises in anger and I pull away.

 “I-I…I was happy to see you happy…and that you found s—“

 “Why were you upset when I was late to get ready?” I begin to yell.

 “I…I wasn’t upset about that. I was only concerned…if the players didn’t like you.”

 “Why were you mad that I posted the picture?”

 “Because…because I thought you would be a target!”

 “Why are you hesitating on every sentence you speak?!”

 “Vanessa…I—“

 “You what?”

 “I can’t fulfill your wish and I’m sorry!” Russell exclaims.

 “No, tell me the damn truth.”

 Russell stares into the tears that fall down into my face. Russell’s eyes drift towards my lips that are trembling with anger. His eyes then slowly drift to my hands that are clenched in a fist, ready to smack him when I believe he is wrong. He looks back into my eyes and doesn’t let go. He tries to hug me again, but I smack his arms away.

 “Just tell me the damn truth Russell!”

 Russell doesn’t say a word as his eyes drift off, trying to think of what to say.

 “I was upset that you weren’t ready because I thought you forgot about the game and that this day with you wasn’t going to be important. I was upset you posted the picture because you would be a target and I didn’t want anyone to hurt you because I care about you! I kept your hat until you were leaving because it reminded me of you. I liked you since the beginning. That day, I guess you could say it was like at first start, but I can’t find the words to put it because I just met you. It can’t be true. So then put it all together, why did I stare at you and Austin’s kiss? I was jealous! I didn’t want you with him, I wanted you with me! But it’s already damn too late for you and I to be going out isn’t it? I’m going out with an amazing girl and I can’t just leave her like that, I’m sorry. I just wish you would’ve told me sooner.”

 His confession hit me and I couldn’t help, but kiss his cheek to thank him. Russell stares at me for a while as I cry. I guess it got to him because after a while, he hugged me so tight that I couldn’t breathe almost. Austin decides to leave the room when Cecilia entered. He escorted her out as they both take a breather outside. Russell and I remain in the condo unit, hugging until my tears slowly began to stop. 

 Until Cecilia what I believe, couldn’t take it anymore, she barged in and stopped the hug.

 “Leave her alone!” said Cecilia as she separates both Russell and I. Russell all of a sudden is taken aback.

 “You’ve played with her emotions way too much! She understands that she can’t get you back now, but you know what? Don’t you think she had enough to hear?” Cecilia continues as she holds me behind her.

 “I told her the truth,” Russell calmly states.

 “I know, but maybe tell her that when you’re single? I mean seriously? If you’re jealous of Vanessa, break up with that girl and be with Vanessa. I don’t see how hard that is. Unless, you are trying to lie to her and make her feel better?”

 That last question threw me off. I stared at Russell, looking for answers. He avoids my gaze and walks out.

 “Hey! Come back here! Austin, beat him up!” Cecilia yells as the door opens.

 “No! Don’t!” I yell. Austin listens as he walks back into the condo unit. I lost him, once again.