Crescents and Cigarettes

"I'm going to miss this place," Frank mumbled as he sat on the roof of his childhood home with his best friend, Bert.

"This place is going to miss you too," Bert sighed and leaned back on his elbows as he looked over the twinkling city lights. "Do you have to go? Why California of all places?"

Frank shook his head. "It's a family thing. Who knows? Maybe the guy won't like me and will send me back in a few months. I'm sure things will be fine." Frank hugged his knees to his chest. Although he is aware of the changes he would begin experiencing in the coming weeks, he was also terrified and wasn't quite sure to believe his very average appearing parents. He shook the thoughts away and cleared his throat. "Whatever happens, you'll always be my best friend" Frank smiled over at Bert hoping the comment would cheer both of them up.

____________________

Frank opened his eyes to the sound of his alarm with a groan. Moving day. The day he had been dreading since he started high-school. Frank had been prepped for this day for the past 4 years and it's finally here. Any other family of this nature would be celebrating but not Frank's family.

Frank's parents were extremely reluctant to even let Frank leave despite this whole arrangement having been orchestrated by them since Frank first began showing "The signs"

Frank walked downstairs of the two story ranch style farmhouse and joined his parents at the table for breakfast. As usual his dad was silently looking over the newspaper with a mug of coffee in his hand. After a few moments of awkward silence his mother placed a plate of French toast and eggs in front of him.

"Are you excited for your ritual?" She asked, her voice cutting through the heavy tension that hung through the air.

"Do I have to go?" Frank asked in a pleading tone.

"You know the rules. We would keep you if we could. But that Way dude is who you need to be with and you know it." Frank's dad set his paper down before taking a sip of his coffee. "Finish up. You don't want to be late. He said he was sending a car for you and it's in your best interest that you don't be late"

Frank finished his food without another word. After breakfast he went to his room to make sure he had whatever else he would need with him. Donning a gray Hoodie and black sweatpants, he puts the rest of his essentials in his backpack and sets it near the door.

"Mom?" Frank headed downstairs in search of his mother. He found her in the kitchen washing the dishes from breakfast. "Hey, Mom. When are they supposed to even get here?"

"Within the next hour. Don't forget to brush your teeth sweetie. You know he's going to check your canines. We have been over this a million times." Frank's mother reminded him. He groaned and trudged back up the creaky steps, muttering to himself about how unfair his life was despite being a supernatural being. He looked in the mirror with a sigh. Moving his fringe out of his face he inspected the diamond shape mark under his left eye. The mark was only visible to others of his kind, but even then it still made Frank feel a little insecure. He despised the mark because it indicated his rank as a lowly omega. He never quite saw himself as one though. I mean, look at his parents. They would bend over backwards if they were asked to by a higher rank. Frank found this pitiful. He decided ever since he started showing 'the signs' that he wouldn't submit to anyone. Alpha or not, Frank felt he was better. He shook his head, letting his hair fall back into place with another dramatic sigh before brushing his teeth. As he wiped his mouth on the hand towel, the doorbell chimed its whistle tone throughout the house. A feeling of dread washed over him as he made his way back down stairs to find his parents greeting what seemed to be a Beta at the door. The triple stripe on the bridge of his nose gave him away. Peaking around his parents, Frank caught sight of the expensive looking sports car parked out front.
"You can call me Pete," The beta said with a soft chuckle, while assuring Frank's parents that he would be well taken care of. "I hate to cut this short but we do need to get going if we are to make good time on the trip back."