Goodbyes

I'm breathing hard and fast. I lost all feeling in my body but yet still I find my way up to the stage. I don't dare look for my family knowing that if I see their faces I will break. I, instead, look out towards the horizon. Flair asked for volunteers but no one steps forward. Of course no one will, I'm no one in this district. The only thing people around here know me for is the end of the day. When they wait for the mockingjays to signal that its time to go home.

"Okay then." Flair says,"On with the boys." She walks over to the boys bowl and grabs the first piece of paper her hand touches. She walks back and opens the paper. "Thresh Easton."

I do not recognize the name or the face of the masculine man who walks up to the stage. We shake hands and the anthem plays.  I am Escorted to a room, the room where I say goodbye to those I love.

The door closes behind me and I sit on the plush couch. I Know my family will be here but I don't know what i'm going to do for the next hour.  The door opens and I see my mother and siblings. I hug my sister, "Don't lose faith." she says. I nod. 

"Try to hide, you're small and fast. Remember if they can't catch you then they can't kill you." My mom says. 

My youngest sister asked if I still have the necklace. I pull it out from under my dress,"good." she says. I hug my family one more time. MY mom is in tears as the doors open and my family is ushered out. 

I sit back in the chair, There's no clock in the room so I have no idea how much time has passed before the door opens again. To my surprise an elderly woman and a girl who looks just like Thresh walks in. The elderly lady sits across from me and the younger girl stands. 

"Thresh has told us he will do whatever it takes to keep you alive as long as possible." The younger girl says.

I'm stunned. Why would he help me? Why would he risk his life for someone he doesn't know. I guess my questions are on my face because the elderly women says "He doesn't agree with the games. You are young and have a whole life ahead of you."

I nod. I do understand but to speak those words out loud if caught you will be punished. "Thank you for letting me know. It's nice to know at least someone will have my back." The rest of the time we sit in silence. When they are gone I wait. 

The peacekeepers come and escort me to the car. I've only rode in a car once it was an old thing and i sat in the back of the cab as the years harvest was thrown into the back. But this car is high tech and I can tell it came straight from the capitol.  We ride through the city in silence until we reach the  train station. Once I step onto the platform Flair says, "Take what you want, eat what you want it was made for you." 

I take a breath and smell the food sitting on the table waiting for us to eat. I can't help but to think of how many people from my district could go to bed full with the meals I am going to eat at the capitol within the next week. As the train moves I see something out the window, I walk over to see my youngest sister running along the gate. She runs until she no longer can. Tears in my eyes I whisper one more silent goodbye.