Chapter 4: Soul Crushed

By definition, from either urban nor Webster, Seraphina Jones was not a bitch. Yes, sometimes she was hostile, but only towards a specific spectrum of humans: people who were annoying as shit. Unfortunately, her three older brothers fell into this category at the moment, and as they unapologetically made fun of her at the dinner table, Seraphina felt particularly hostile.

"I swear to God if one of you fuckers say another word about me-." Seraphina begun, shaking as she tightly held her fork in a upright position in her left hand, looking straight at Arkham who was mouthing words she could not decipher towards Xavier. All of the glory that she felt in high school due to her status was diminished in seconds everyday as soon as she returned home by three boys who called themselves HAX (it stood for the first letter of their names, but coincidentally also worked for what it is they did) and ran a small, possibly illegal, ring of services which could hack any device for another person for an unreasonable price. Albeit, it was a monopoly from which they greatly benefited financially.

"Language, Sera," said her father, forking a piece of shredded chicken and a few grains of rice into his mouth. His dark black pepper pompadour fell flat at this time of the day, creating a mass of swung curls at his forehead. His bright brown eyes shone in indignation as he stared down his daughter. At his comment Seraphina nearly rolled her eyes, but stopped herself right on time as she glanced at the hideous renaissance-like painting behind her father.

    The Jones's dining room was one of the smaller rooms in their house, the size of a slightly above average in size classroom, with white paint covering the walls tainted with pattern-less, black, artistic swirls. There were three other paintings like the one behind her father, each which resembled something Picasso would have drawn if he were blind and had no sense of reality, scattered evenly on the walls across the room. The table was in the dead center, created out of mahogany and the six chairs followed the same origins, with hipster patterns carved onto their back. There was a white, wooden book case on the side opposite to her father, whom Seraphina sat next to at the end of the table nearest the doorway. Beside Arkham who sat in front of Seraphina and besides his father, Hayden sat chatting excitedly with Seraphina's mother who sat opposite her husband. Xavier sat next to Seraphina, purposely hitting her with his ecstatic movements as he spoke in codes with Arkham who was older than him by a year.

In annoyance, Seraphina abruptly excused herself from the table heading up to her room and slamming the door behind her. She liked to believe she hated them, that she wishes that they weren't there, but such thoughts were phenomenally untrue. She loved her brothers and parents no matter how much she would deny it to anyone.

As she settled at her desk and turned on her laptop, her cell phone rang from the bedside table where it had been put to charge. She read the caller name, feelings of both disappointment and excitement washing over her. She picked up at the third ring, swiveling in her rolling gamer chair and heaving a little sigh in greeting.

"Hey Jake," she spoke, placing her phone between her jaw and her shoulder as she utilized both of her hands to type into Google on her laptop.

"Hey Sera," he responded, his voice sounding exhausted, "Practice ended early. Didn't want to call during dinner time...but I really wanted to hear your voice."

Seraphina felt warm but a tinge of guilt radiated dominant to her emotions.

"You're really cute." She snorted, covering her mouth in embarrassment afterwards as Jake laughed from the other end of the line.

"More than anything I wanted to hear your dorky ass laugh." He said, "But I was wondering if I could come over? I wanna talk to you about something."