One Shot

Di. Arnav called her loudly, while coming down the stairs. Yes Chotte? Anjali replied, taking her eyes off the decorations.

Have you seen Khushi?? He asked looking around the hall, wanting to get a glimpse of her.

Nahi, Chotte. Anjali glanced around the room too. Oh yes, she exclaimed a second later, Last time I saw her, she was going to my room to get some flowers.

But, she turned towards him and wiggled hr brows. Why are you looking for her? Kya kaam hai un se?? She mischievously added, biting her cheek. (what work you have with her?)

Arnav gulped, running a hand through his hair. I-I, he stammered, yes, I have to discuss a file with her. Office work you know. He said looking everywhere but her.

Chotte. Anjali laughed pulling his cheek. You are so cute. She pecked his forehead before moving away, smiling to herself.

Arnav rubbed his cheek, scowling at his Di for still treating him like a teenager. Di's room. Khushi. He remembered and at once dashed towards his destination.

.

Shantivan was dressed as a bride. And why won't it be. After all it was the Mehendi ceremony of Akash Singh Raizada. The atmosphere was filled with the odor of various flowers, especially the marigold. The lights and diya added colors to the whole picture.

In the hall, Anjali and Akash were over checking every detail and decoration. The guests were about to arrive. The music was being played in loud sound, making it difficult to even understand the voice next to one.

NK and Shyam were over looking the food and catering services. Nani and Mami were busy with Garima and Buaji while Payal was getting ready in the room.

Everything was beautiful.
Everyone felt beautiful.

.

Arnav was taking steps towards the room when he stopped seeing Akash being chased by NK and Shyam. Their faces were widened in laughter. Arnav smiled seeing them so happy and then continued his steps.

Reaching the door, he frowned seeing it locked from outside. Why the room is locked? He un-bolted the door, and pushed them open.

The whole room was drowned in darkness. He scrunched his brows. Itna andhera? He whispered to himself. Khushi kahan hai? He went inside and switched on the lights. (So much darkness?) (where is khushi?)

Khushi? He called seeing the room empty. KHUSHI?? His voice was loud as compared to the music outside. He turned and closed the door.

KHUSHI? Are you here? He again called coming in the center of the room.

Khu- his voice broke as he saw a dupatta lying on the floor, on the other side of the bed. He bent and picked it up, and recognized it instantly. It was the same dupatta Khushi was wearing since morning.

KHUSHI? This time his voice was laced with an unknown fear.

He stepped up abruptly and glanced around the room. He saw the flowers dropped on the floor just beside the wardrobe. Tracing it's path, Arnav saw broken bangles lying in front of the washroom door.

Khushi? He went and turned the knob but the door was locked. Khushi?? He banged the door, calling her.

Khushi, it's me Arnav. Open the door dammit. All kinds of thoughts were making their way in his mind. His hands shook as he turned the knob again and again, as if some miracle would happen.