The Beginning. Where Else Would I Start?

Ya know, Pheobe has a funny way of creeping up on you. You can prepare for her, but nothing you can imagine will fill you with quite the same level of rage as when Pheobe decides to show up.

On my way to school, I turn left twice or I turn right twice, and I never cross any roads. This is because I live on the same block as my school. And on my way to school, this is where Pheobe first decided to show up.

She snuck up behind me, ever so quietly, and whispered into my ear, "Wouldn't it be fun to count? That way, you can block out the thoughts of having to leave your mother by herself for the day."

You see, my mother had been hospitalized and released, re-hospitalized and re-released shortly ago. The thought of me being without her company- however close my school was- it terrified me. It messed with me, and as a result, I was given Manny. He is my separation anxiety friend. But that's not who this is about...

Phoebe whispered that same sentence into my ear on every walk I took from then on and I immediately listened because...

Because...

Who am I kidding?

I listened to what Pheobe had to say with arms open wide and my heart alive because she was right.

Pheobe told me the thoughts would dissipate. And they did.