Epilogue 2 - The Reconciliation

The trip did not go as he planned. Dylan was in deep thoughts when he arrived at his apartment and did not notice that the rice cooker was on and someone was in the shower. He wheeled his luggage in and sat down on his couch. The earlier conversation he had with Mr Shen rang in his mind clearly. He leaned back and sighed.

"Mr Wang..." Mr Shen said.

"Mr Shen, please call me Didi."

"Thank you for coming all the way here to ask for my blessing. I'm very pleased that Shen Yue had found someone who cared enough about her to make this effort."

"I want to do this the right way. We would like you to attend our wedding in Hualien."

"Hualien?"

"It is the place where we discovered our love for each other."

The old man smiled and then, sighed. "Are you aware that Yue and I are not in contact? Been too long..." he closed his eyes. "I can give you my blessing but...I don't think she would want me at the wedding."

"Why is that so? She will be happy if you can be there."

"My child, I have not been a good father. I will be the least deserving person to give her away." There was a tinge of sadness and regret in his voice.

"Won't you at least consider it?"

"I think I know Yue enough to say this. She can be stubborn sometimes like her mom."

There was silence as finally Mr Shen stood up. "I'm sorry I wasted your time, Didi. Please take good care of her."

Dylan had to say something. "Uncle, I don't know what had happened in your family in the past but I know that this is a good time to let bygones be bygones. Yue is your own flesh and blood. Don't you want to reunite with her?"

The old man looked down for a moment before titling up his head. "When are you leaving home?"

"Today early evening."

"Can you help me pass something to Yue? I will ask my driver to drop it off your hotel." Dylan thought he saw his eyes glistening. "If she choose to forgive me...." he trailed off, turning his head away. "That will be a miracle."

"Thank you, uncle."

"Call me Papa. We are family soon." They shook hands and Dylan left with a heavy heart. What am I suppose to tell Yue?

The bedroom door opened and Yue walked out, towelling her hair. "Hi, you're back! I m just getting dinner ready."

Dylan jumped when he heard her voice. "Sorry, I forgot you're staying here today."

"Are you okay?"

He smiled. "Yes, I am. Can we eat? I'm famished."

Yue noticed that Dylan was quiet during dinner, unlike him. Maybe he was tired. He helped her clear the dishes before going to shower.
"Yue, can we talk after this?"
"Yeah sure." Why does he look so serious?

When he came out he had a box in his hand. "Yue, please hear me out and don't jump into conclusions." She nodded still wondering where this was going.

"I went to see your father."

She gasped. "Why didn't you tell me?" He took her hands and said "I didn't want you to stop me. It was something I had to do." After he related what happened, he gave her the box. "He wanted you to have this. I will be in the room if you need me."