Chapter Thirty-Seven

It's been 3 years since Angelica death and Lucas' arrest and I have accomplished so much since then.

After the incident Violet and I grew closer and closer everyday. We always teased that we had matching wounds even though hers is just a flesh wound. She became tough and even more out spoken, if that could even happen. I passed the physical training course that the school board suggested I take before returning back to work. The course was brutal and caused pain all down my back but I'm grateful that I can still walk because the doctors said that those bullets were pretty close to my spine. I even started to attend church and I met someone named April who happened to be Rory and Kat's best friend. Such a small world.

Well the girls turned 8 three weeks ago and surprisingly today is my own birthday.

"Bethany, can you come here for a minute?" I heard Vincent call from the living room.

Yes. I moved in with them since I was basically over here almost everyday.

You are probably wondering what is going on between Vincent and I; well I can excitedly tell you that we are dating. We have been dating for about 2 years now and we are really happy.

I don't reply as I make my way out of our bedroom, past the girls room and into the living room. As I approached, I could see that Vincent sat in between the girls as they both held a wrapped gift in their hands.

"What's going on?" I stand in front of them, I could feel my breathing getting heavy.

Vincent saw this and quickly stood up and came to me, "Beth, baby, there's no need to panic. We just want to share something with you, since it is your birthday. Trust me, okay?" He smirked and my nerves immediately ceased. I know that that smirk had once made me terrified but now it just makes the butterflies in my stomach flutter.

I do trust him so I listen and sit on the chair across from them and he sat back in between the girls.

I take a deep breath and look between the three of them, "okay, now can you tell me what's going on?"

Vincent looked at Viola and nodded his head. She stood up and handed me her wrapped present.

"Open it please," she said in the sweetest voice. I did as she asked and began to open it. As I began to pull the paper back, she started to speak,

"Bethany, you came into our lives for a reason. You help guide us and taught us new things about life. Our dad is happiest whenever you are around and that makes us happy to. You are the perfect example of the kind of girls we want to be when we get older. You have a big heart, Bethany, and we want to forever be included in that."

She left me speechless and I quickly wipe the tear that escaped and look down at my lap. I have finished unwrapping my gift somewhere during her speech. On my lap was a picture frame and in it was a picture of me and the girls when they stayed over our house three years ago. It was the day, that I really felt connected with them.

I look up from the picture, and open my arms. Viola came into them and I hugged her tight,

"Thank you Lola,"

"You're welcome," she pulled back, "but we aren't done yet."

She backed up and took her seat next to her dad.
Vincent kidded her head and turned to look at Violet. She also stood and handed me her gift.

"Here you go!" She sounded really excited, I quickly glance at Vince to see that he was also smiling.

What in the hell is going on?

Shrugging my shoulders, I move the first gift to my side and began to open the second gift; and just like Viola, Violet started her speech,

"Our mom is no longer with us but she is looking down at us right now and giving us her approval of our current situation." I smile at her use of a large word, "You protected Viola and I with your life and we are forever grateful. So we have a question to ask you."

I had finished unwrapping but it wasn't a picture like Viola's, instead it was a manila folder. I look up to see that Viola had joined her sister in front of me. What I didn't notice before was that they had on matching black jackets that zipped up in the front.

"Finish opening it," Violet urged me to continue,

"Okay, okay, okay," I giggle a bit as I pulled a packet out of the folder. I glance through it and was so stunned that I didn't notice when the twins unzipped their jackets. Looking up at them, as they shared the same beaming smile and the same stance as their jackets were wide open allowing me to read the big, bold red letters that were on their shirts.

I burst out crying and pulled them towards me, repeating the word 'yes' over and over again.

To say I was overjoyed is an understatement. You see on Viola's shirt read, 'Will you' with an arrow pointing to Violet, which on her shirt continued to say, 'adopt us?'. The packet that was in the manila folder were adoption papers for the girls.

I laugh, "do you have a pen?" I frantically look around, searching for a pen. I stopped when I felt Violet's hand on my arm,

"That's not all," she and Viola stepped aside and Vincent bent forward on one knee in front of me,

My hands flew up to my mouth as I gasped,

"When I met you in high school, I was certain that you would be mine forever. But then I went and messed things up, which in turn we spent years apart. Through all those years you hated me and I hated me too; but fate had other plans because five years later you happen to be my daughters teacher. You ended up saving their lives and you helped me remember why I fell for you all those years ago. When I heard your voice over the phone that day it felt like the like that last stretch of track of a roller coaster ride, right before it comes to a stop, you know....where your stomach is flipping out and your knees go weak but you can still breathe. Well that's when I knew. I want you in my life, Bethany, I don't ever want to let you go. I want to you because you're the first person I want to look at when I wake up in the morning, and the only one I wanna kiss good night, because when you love someone as much as I love, you getting married is the only thing left to do. So in order for you to have our last name and to officially adopt the girls, I have one question for you. Will you just trust me and become Mrs. Bethany Hawkins?"