15: Emerald Green

On shaky legs, I stumble into Carla and Jamie's room with an all-consuming ache between my legs and a racing heartbeat. What the fvck just happened? I am torn between wanting to jump Alaric's bones all night long and slapping him in the face a few hundred times. I am certainly pissed off and a little sad that he just left me high and dry (or wet however you want to look at it) right when things were starting to get good. What is he afraid of?

"Jess?" Carla's hesitant voice makes my jump.

"Oh... Carla... I didn't know you were, were in here..." I manage to say through laboured breaths.

"Yeah, I wasn't really feeling the party." She murmurs as I snap the light on, finding her looking worried collapsed into bed. "It didn't work out with the guy and to be honest I am a bit worried about what is going on here... Is Alaric forcing you to stay?" She asks seriously as she sits up.

"N-no... of course not, why would you think that?" I ask, trying to seem nonchalant but alarm bells are ringing in my head.

"I saw him shouting at you just a minute ago Jess. Saying how you belong to him and being all caveman-y. I was going to step in but then you started having sex in the corridor so I came back here." Carla explains and I blush bright red cursing in my head.

Well, unfortunately we weren't having sex in the corridor... just the hottest make out session of my life.

"Is he forcing you to stay here Jess? Please just tell me the truth, I love you and I'm seriously worried." Carla pleads as she makes her way over to me and clasps my hands.

"Carla I assure you everything is ok." I sigh, unable to look her in the eye. "Alaric and I have a... complicated relationship – hey can I borrow some night clothes?" I ask mid sentence as I make my way to the bathroom. "But he's not forcing me to do anything."

"Of course, but it's not just how Alaric treated you that has me concerned... I tried to go outside tonight, and suddenly out of nowhere, two guys showed up and waited there, watching me until I went back in. And is there a wolf farm or something around here? I keep hearing wolves howl at night, but as far as I know they don't exist in the wild in England." Carla asks from the door of the bathroom as I change and take my makeup off.

I am glad she can't see my face and notice how pale I have become.

"Carla you're being silly. Everything is fine, why wouldn't it be?" I ask as I start to rub my makeup off with a random hot pink flannel.

"Well you know what I don't think everything is fine Jessamine. You're lying to me!" Carla rebukes my words with a scowl.

"No I'm not Carla, why won't you trust me?" I plead.

"You can't even look me in the eye Jessamine! I've known you forever; you can't lie to me! I am going to get to the bottom of this. I will start tomorrow though because it's nearly two am and I am an old woman and tired." She sighs before slamming the bathroom door and heading to bed.

Great, now we have fallen out and Carla is suspicious. Dread swirls within me, worrying that she will stumble upon the truth and sentence herself to an eternity here. At least she is waiting until tomorrow, because I feel absolutely physically and emotionally drained right now; my haggard reflection proves as much.

***

The next morning I awake feeling as though I haven't slept and just as dead as the night before. Great. I snuck into Jamie's bed as I did not want to disturb Zerenity, and as my mind rises from the fogginess of sleep, I realise that she never came in last night. Like a slap of cold water to the face, I instantly feel more awake; worried about what troubles she has gotten herself into with Izzy. I also notice that Carla is not in bed, it unusually pristinely made which is a first.