Kings and Dumbies

"no." Ezekiel shook his head. "follow me." He took us back outside towards the kids who were practicing with weapons. "I'm sure Richard told you of these kids?"

Rick nodded "he did."

"We can't fight, we do t have many fighters here. The ones we lost, they were our soldiers." He explained "that girl there with the one leg, her father was the best. All these children are orphaned, if we sent people to fight this war we can not win, more will be lost."

"All we are asking is a few." Rick stated.

"I'm sorry, rick. But I can not risk it. These people do not know of the saviors. They do not come inside of here."

Rick took a minute looking around before nodding "I understand. Maybe we can defeat them without costing your lives."

"I hope for the best." Ezekiel nodded "and with her, I'm sure you can. But also, there's a junk yard a days walk from here. Maybe they will come to an agreement to help you."

Rick nodded "thanks Ezekiel. I hope for the best for you and yours."

They shook hands, we went our separate ways. At the gate rick put his hand on Daryl's chest stopping him. "Not you, I can't risk it."

"What? I'm coming!" Daryl said trying to push past rick.

I gripped his arm pulling him back. "He's right." I frowned "it's better to stay hidden right now, at least until he can get more help."

"I'll send someone to let you know when it's time." Rick nodded "stay put and stay safe."

I nodded to rick "I'm staying too."

He nodded "ok, yea, I'll see you soon."

They left the kingdom behind making another journey. I just hope it's worth it.

*******

"We could use your help." Morgan said loading up a truck. "We are going out to the meeting."

"The hell shes going." Daryl growled "she's staying here."

"Let her come." Ezekiel said walking towards us. "There is no fighting permitted between each group. Let her see what it is we do."

I looked to Daryl kissing his cheek "I'll be fine. I promise."

Before I walked away he grabbed my hand pulling me into his chest "I love you."

I looked at him raising my brow "I love you too. I'll be back soon."

He let me go and stalked off to somewhere else. Morgan allowed me to climb into the back with Jerry an another person and a kid who looked to be about Carl's age.

"So?" The boy asked looking at me "you can really do all that stuff Morgan told us?"

I shook my head looking away "I can't tell you that."

"My names Ben." He said.

"Kid, I don't want to know your name. For good reason."

The truck came to a stop and we climbed out. A row of buggies were placed in the road.

"Spread out, whoever did this could t have gotten far." Ezekiel said.

I jumped off the ground onto a roof looking around, but seen nothing or no one. When I seen them cut a corner I jumped down landing in a hole.

"Who would dig a hole?" I groaned jumping out.

"Bury me here." Ezekiel read "why?"

I looked at the sign it was freshly dug. "Something doesn't feel right." I shuddered. "Let's get out of here."

"I agree with her." Morgan said.

Ezekiel nodded and walked back around the house before stopping at the buggies "get these moved."

I picked up a buggy throwing it across the road into the bushes. Everyone else grabbed one pushing it.

"I would do that, but I'd throw my back out." Jerry said laughing.

"I'd like to see that." I laughed smacking his shoulder.

"I'll race you to truck." He said taking off running.

Jerry is a big guy an easy to beat, but I decided to let him win. When he got to the front of the truck I ran to the back sticking my tongue out at him.

"No fair!" He yelled climbing on.

"You'll get her next time, Jerry." Ezekiel said laughing. "Now onwards Richard."

We drove off a ways away and into a parking lot with a red truck sitting and waiting. We climbed out, I stood behind Jerry. I didn't really want to be seen.

"Let's see the load." A man said. He sounded familiar, too familiar. I stood still so he didn't see me.

Ezekiel took him to the back of the truck. Gary came back around with a basket handing it to a man with long hair.

"There's a problem, Ezekiel." He said. "That's not a dozen, I counted 11."

"That's not possible." Ezekiel shook his head. "I counted them myself."

"You know the rules." Gary said clearing his throat.

A gun was brought up to Richards face. "Do it." He spat.

The long haired man laughed and pulled the trigger. The kid Ben dropped to the ground.

I stepped forward grabbing the long haired man growling. Gary seemed to have noticed me and backed up.

Someone was grabbing my arm pulling towards the truck, but I still had the guy by the throat.

"let him go." Ezekiel whispered grabbing my hand "let him go, Allison, we need to get Ben help."

I threw the guy to the ground kicking him back into their truck before climbing in the back helping Morgan with the kid.

"You controlled it. For the first time." Morgan sighed "hold on Ben, just hold on."

******

We pulled up to a house that was close to the community and climbed out grabbing Ben running him to the door.

My eyes met carols for the first time in the longest time. "Mom!" I yelled gripping her.

"What happened?" She asked looking between everyone.

"Ben, he's shot. Please help him." Ezekiel begged.

Carol nodded letting us inside, she slung everything off the long kitchen table for them to lay the kid down.

She went straight to work on his leg not looking at anyone or even speaking.