"unmatchable"

"Sophie? Are you OK?" a soft, fragile voice asked.

She didn't say anything back to her adoptive mother, Edaline. How could she be OK if she just found out that she was unmatchable?

Well, not just barely. She didn't know how long it had been since she had found out, though she didn't really want to know. It's not like it changed the fact that she was unmatchable.

"Its been a week, we're really worried about you, sweetie," Edaline said, answering her question. "Someone is here to see you. You think you're up for visitors?"

Sophies only answer was a groan, muffled from her pillow her face was currently lying on. She reluctantly rolled over, not bothering to try and look better. It's not like anyone worth looking good for was coming over. The only person she would want to look good for was Fitz, and it's not like he would bother coming over.

"I'll take that as a yes," Edaline said softly. "I made some ripplefluffs for you and Fitz."

She gently set the plate down as Sophie realized what she had said.

"Wait, Fitz is here?" She said. Her voice was small and dry from not talking since getting back from the matchmaker's offices, but Edaline still heard her.

"Yeah, he is. Can I send him up right now?" She said.

Sophie didn't say anything, just tried to run her fingers through her hair in an attempt to smooth it out. There wasn't much more she could do, so she just tucked her hair behind her ear as Fitz walked in the room.

She studied him as he walked over and sat gingerly on the bed, taking her hand and running his fingers over her knuckles. His cheeks were stained with tears, his hair crumpled, his clothes wrinkled, and big bags retsted under his eyes. His eyebrows were pinched with worry and he closed his eyes, small tears falling down his pale cheeks.

"I'm OK, really. You don't need to worry." Sophie reassured him.

He wasn't convinced.

"Sophie, I really meant what I said at Everglen. I do want it to be you," He said. "I don't care if you're unmatchable. That won't stop me from getting you."

He opened his eyes, looking at her. His eyes were glassy, tears still pouring out of them.

"I - I meant it too, but I can't put you through what would happen if we got together, everyone would hate us and your family would be made fun of and-"

"Sophie," he cut her off. "I don't care about any of that. All I care about is you. I just want to make you happy. And if dating you right now makes you happy, then I'd be fine with that. And if you want to date later thats also OK. Even if you don't want to date, I'd live with it. Please, just tell me what you want."

Sophie didn't want to bother Fitz with anything, but the way his brow creased when he looked at her, and the way he sounded so worried was so very tempting...

"I think..." she thought for a second, deciding what she should say. "I just need some time. I would love to date you, but I just need to heal."

Fitz smiled a small smile, moving so he was lying next to Sophie on the bed. He gently eased her down, so her head was resting on his shoulder. He put his lips protectively on her head, making her blush.

"Its OK," was the last thing Sophie heard before she fell asleep, feeling very protected, for the first time in days.

-----------------------------------------

~♡Hello! This is my first fanfic, so please don't hate. I hope you enjoyed! UwU♡~