the before

Italy 1985, Spring

  The house smelled of apricots. The season was over but the smell still lingered as always. Outside was a bit dreary as winter was hanging on by a thread.
  Usually the perlmans would be nice and warm on the couch at their states home. This time however they were delayed an entire month as a wedding was going to take place soon.
  Elio had heard the news a year before.

Oliver
I have some news...
Elio
What news? You're getting married i suppose?
Oliver
Well actually yeah.. i might be getting married next spring...
Elio
You never said anything..
Oliver
It's been on and off for 3 years.
Elio
Well that's wonderful news
Oliver
Do you mind?

  'Of couse I do' Elio thought. The summer they had together was the happiest he had been. Over the months he threw himself into school. Juliard. Piano. Through the months he was able to push his memories away. Occasionally they would pop up and he would use the student population To sate his mind. It never lived up to his name.
  Now Elio is stuck in the middle of the one thing he wanted nothing to do with. His parents immediately volunteered their estate for the backdrop of the event. Right away the answer was yes.

  Elio was laying in bed watching the sky out of his windows as nobody was home. Mafalda was out to the store, anchise had taken his bike for a ride and annella and Mr. Perlman were at the train station waiting for the soon to be newlyweds to arrive. All Elio remembered was the sound of a bird. It was the first in a while.