Chapter 2: 𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕖 𝕚𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕒𝕚𝕣

We had arrived from the arcade. It was getting dark as a bluish shade started to fog the sky. Tristan and Adrian were fighting, as usual, over the most banal things. Pierce seemed distracted. I finally saw what was grasping his attention : a girl with lovely blonde locks was sitting on a bench, sighing as her phone was held to her ear. I could feel it turn to voicemail as the girl's face dropped.

" Don't." I said knowingly but it was too late. Pierce ran over to her side as they started to talk. At first, she seemed hesitant but the tension cooled down as soon as Pierce started being his usual bubbly self. 

" Don't worry we can walk you home." He said at last with a grin. She returned his smile and I saw a gleam in Pierce's eyes. 

Tristan frowned, " Seriously? You just had to do that. Now we'll get a 20 minute delay."

" What were you going to do anyway? It's not like anyone made plans with you, loner." Adrian mocked as Tristan shot him a glare.

The girl simply giggled and whispered in my ear, " Are they always like this?"

I nodded as she laughed once more. " I'm Elenor."

" Ace." I replied. 

Elenor linked arms with Pierce as we walked her home. It wasn't obvious, but I saw a hint of a blush spread on Pierce's already light face. 

............................................................

Harper seemed to notice things were going better with me and took advantage of it to the fullest. I know she was trying to help, but she was going a little overboard. For example, making my schedule full of social activities. It was funny to see my agenda one week ago and it now, to see the contrast between white and jam packed.

" Chop, chop." She called playfully as we exited the school doors.

After a lot of coaxing and convincing, I managed to avoid the frivolous romance we were supposed to watch and switched it with a horror movie. I was shocked when she agreed. Harper would stop at nothing, I thought with a grateful smile.

I took out my metro pass and followed her underground. We would have normally taken a taxi, but there was too much traffic to make it on time, regardless if we count the previews.

I was used to taking the subway, but obviously Harper wasn't. " Do we all go in this wagon like canned sardines?" She questioned as I stifled a laugh. Her British accent even made " canned sardines" sound fancy.

Once the metro arrived, we dived in quickly. Once when I was 12, I took the subway with my mom and I hesitated to go in, resulting the door to shut to my face, separating me from my mother. I remember clearly banging my fists on the door, screaming to let me in. By some miracle, they did. I was lucky it wasn't a subway with automatic driving or who knows what would have happened. Now I always go straight in, afraid that it might happen again.

 Luckily, the train was barely empty and we had an abundance of seats. Harper and I waited for our stop which was the second to last. Something just felt so reassuring and familiar to hear the robotic voice announce the stations that I had closed my eyes and tried to remember what it was like when I took the subway each day to go to school.

The train had stopped to yet another station as the doors opened. I saw someone laugh with a group of friends. Then he caught my eye. Horror ran through his face as it turned livid.

" Elyse." He mouthed.

My heart was drumming in my chest. It couldn't be. I knotted my sweaty hand together. Panic seized hold of me. I saw him hesitate before stepping into the subway. I lowered my eyes as he passed me and I sensed he did the same. 

He had changed so much, now in his dark jeans and white shirt. Thought perfectly combed was charming, his disheveled hair was slightly falling in his eyes. Yet he still had his charismatic air of knowledge and mannerism, the one I had fallen in love with. 

" What's wrong?" Harper nudged my elbow. I pointed my finger in the direction of Adrian.

She gasped. We now shared shocked expressions as we saw Adrian sit down in the back row with his friends. " What's wrong, man?" I heard one of them call out to him while Adrian muttered a passive reply.

Public school really had an impact on him. From the brief instants I glimpsed at him, I notice his cocky attitude gone and a more human and real expression took its place. But I had to remind myself that he killed Ace. Did he really, though? Was it actually an accident, like the police statement confirmed? I didn't know, but the initial loathe I felt for him vanished the second I saw him enter the metro. God.

12 more stations to go. 12 more stops till the quenching in my chest could cease. 

...........................................

Hey there, fellow reader!

Hoop you enjoyed this relatively short chapter ( 912 words) 

What do you think about Elyse meeting Adrian again?

Which station do you think he'll get off?

See you on yet another chapter and please comment it makes me ever so happy! :)