Chapter 3 :𝔸𝕕𝕣𝕚𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕘𝕒𝕚𝕟

Elenor. That was the only thing Pierce talked about. Raving on and on about how her eyes squinted when she smiled, her laugh that was irrevocably contagious and her way with words that so evidently bemused Pierce. And every time he talked about her, his eyes would light up.

I had caught him singing and whistling joyfully. The effect Elenor had on Pierce was sweet. And scary. I didn't want my childhood friend to get hurt, to jump with both feet ahead and pay the price of a broken heart later. I guess I was being paranoid, but I just couldn't trust Elenor.

" Do you think it sounds awkward?" Pierce asked me, wanting to know what I thought about him asking her out next Friday. I shook my head,

" You should do it." I assured him. He squirmed a little.

" She'll say no." He said with a sad smile. He sighed and regained his composure. He gathered his courage and added," But you only live once, right?"

I smiled and agreed. As much as I didn't trust her, Pierce deserved to be happy.  Or so I thought. He came back that evening with a disappointed face, slouching and dragging his feet. He didn't talk to anyone as he went into his room.

" Hey Pierce, how did it go?" Tristan called out from the living room. Pierce didn't reply, though Tristan was back to being absorbed by the tv to even notice.

After a while, I knocked on his door.

" Come in." He muttered exhaustedly.

I cautiously entered and saw him, laying on his back, sinking into his bed.

" She just laughed." Pierce said before I could ask him. " Her beautiful laugh, the way her locks of hair fall perfectly on her shoulders."

A sad smile crossed his face. " At first, I was waiting for her reply. But I later understood. I guess I was stupid, thinking she would say yes to me." He punched a nearby pillow.

Pierce smiled, but it was clear the corners of his lips were pulled by will, not by happiness. Pain so evidently marked his face. Elenor, I knew I couldn't trust her.

.....................................................

Seeing Adrian was like a chemical reaction. I was slowly recovering from heartache, and him as well I suppose. But once we were mixed together, an explosion formed. I felt things I had forgotten to feel for the past few weeks, like the longing to feel Adrian's arms wrapped around me and to feel his hot breath on my ear. I wanted to forget everything that pulled us apart.

But how could I? I couldn't walk up to him and say how much I missed him. Its would make me feel like a pathetic traitor. As if he read my mind, Adrian stood from his seat and walked in our direction. 

Harper started nudging me uncontrollably and repressing squeals.

" Can I sit here?" Adrian asked. He was looking into my my eyes, willing for me to answer him. I had words to say, but no strength to let them out.

" Of course, it'll be a pleasure!" Harper chimed, standing up and offering her place to him. I shot her a panicked stare, but she raised her eyebrows in warning. 

" Thanks." Adrian said to her with a genuine smile. I saw Harper blush a little, but who was I to blame her? I had also once fallen in love for his smile. 

He took the seat near me and shifted in it uncontrollably. He grabbed the corners of the seat in unease. The tension was awkward and thank god he said something before I went mad.