Chapter Thirteen

I walk into my trailer and throw my shoes on my couch. I start to breeze around every small room, picking up random stuff and straightening out things that are pretty much already straightened up. I scrub at some dishes for about ten minutes and then give up trying to keep myself busy.

I walk to my room and remove my leggings and pull on some comfortable underwear, taking off my bra and pulling on a huge t-shirt. All the makeup from the days acting is shed from my face when I scrub it with my favorite wash.

I turn off all the lights and climb under the sheets. I’m not ready to fall asleep so I call my mom. I know she misses me a lot. She keeps asking me when is a good time to come and visit the set. We talk for a whole hour about acting and Atlanta and future movie ideas, and even cities I’m thinking of backpacking around. Backpacking is one of the best things to do because you’re completely vulnerable and you face some of the craziest and some of the weirdest situations.

I pull my phone away from my ear when I hear it beep. I had assumed my phone is just dying since I use it so little that I charge it like once every three days. I see Theo’s name on the screen with a picture of us two years ago in the background; me with an off the shoulder shirt and a big bun doing a shaka, and him grinning behind me in a flannel. One of the first nights we hung out.

"Mom?" I interrupted her as she was telling me yet again how much she liked my younger brother’s girlfriend.

"Yeah?"

"I’m getting a call, so I have to go."

"Okay, bye Shailene. Be safe! I love you."

"I love you more. Goodnight!" I press end and answer Theo’s call. If I don’t answer him, he’ll definitely think I’m mad and I really am not. "Aloha," I say quietly.

"Shai?"

"Sorry wrong number."

He chuckles deeply, and it is still just as attractive over the phone. "I don’t know anyone else that would answer the phone with ‘Aloha’."

"This is Tris Prior I seriously think you have the wrong number."

"I thought you sounded like her!" I smile to myself at how dumb we are.

"The alikeness is uncanny."

"Seriously though…" He jokes. It’s silent for a few moments. "I’m happy you aren’t asleep…"

"And why is that?"

"Because I’m outside your trailer right now."

I purse my lips. "Well that’s a little creepy."

He laughs but his voice sounds sincere when he speaks. "Can I come in? I just really want to apologize... in person."

"There’s really nothing to apologize for, it’s fine."

"Please, it will make me feel better." He pleads.

I sigh. "The door is unlocked."

"I know," I hear from outside my room. He walks into my bedroom and I put the phone down. "Not very safe if you ask me."

"It’s gated property. You’re the only intruder I need to worry about." I say sarcastically. I sit up a little bit, criss-crossing my legs and fumbling with my fingers.

He sits on the edge of my bed. "It’s so dark in here." I don’t respond and he gets the hint. "I just wanted to tell you I’m sorry and I hope you didn’t feel like you had to do anything that we did. I don’t want you to think that I only like you for sex."

I shake my head. "I know that’s not the case. You are one of my closest friends, I trust you with my life."

"Then what’s the problem?"