Chapter 1

My mother is known to be a strong woman, she was born, raised, and is still living on a ship. Her famous story is of a bad hurricane that had many casualties years ago, my father included, but my mother had survived. Pregnant, she was forced to eat shark and marlin, though women are not, in that state, supposed to, she survived on a lifeboat that she had boarded when the ship was sinking. Father was about to get in the boat when his lifelong friend had yelled at him to help him out from under the shipping boxes. Father had gone to save him but it was too late, the ship sunk, and mama was left alone at sea.

                Mother had me on an island that rose every blood moon. I was a very special baby that had survived through it all. Mother cherished me, and people gossip about me but, though I have all the fame I have a scar that is like a tiny pond on the left side of my face right next to my eye, of which I have 1 red, and 1 violet.

              People who don't know me or my families stories run away and mumble superstitious comments, followed with, "save me Gutek," Gutek is the God of purity, many people cherish him these days. I don't, I cherish Parwehd. The goddess of the sea and islands. She gives sailors good luck and I, because I was born on an island.

                     My name is Juhtuk, mother named the island that, after naming me. In Erstilanū it means The Eye of Fire, and you can probably guess why she did that. At the time, both of my eyes were fire red, then later my right eye turned violet. Mother thinks my eyes are beautiful, but not to strangers. I am 11 now and mother keeps on telling me, "be prepared for life's challenges... As a woman." I just exhale aloud and look at her tiredly. She would give me a knowing look with one arched eyebrow. I would just continue tying the ropes to the rigging. Mother would go below deck to check with the captain to see that all was alright.

                 It is my routine get up, check on the ship, clean the whole ship, and if I have time, go to the very top of the ship and watch the sunset or take a quick dip in the sea. Mother doesn't worry about me doing this because I am an excellent swimmer and sometimes some sailors will come and marvel at me in the clear blue water, then we all fall asleep soon after. The best part about sailing is going to land and delivering the goods, where I can also have time to run around and get to know the city. There are many people I know from different countries with tons of different stories. I feel very lucky to know so much, to be speaking so many languages. It's exciting soon I'll be able to speak every  language! Just like mother and Captain Hadvard. They both ramble on and on with stories, never repeating another, that's why my mother teaches on the ship.

               Mother says we're very lucky to have a teacher to teach because many kids don't even know how to write in their own language, then I would thank Parwehd for me knowing so much. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be gracious enough to lift its heavy clouds and get us to our next destination.