Chapter 4

Warm sunlight began to filter through the clouds as we traveled. A carriage passed by us, the curtains an opaque material. I prayed to Parwehd for luck to be on our side silently, looking up at the shy blue sky. After some long, thin streets we made it into a significantly different district of the city. It held bright colors in paint, and the men looked cleaner, more put together. Those we passed here now even began to look at us in a strange way, like they knew we were not from their home. 

Mother did not seem to notice, she was intent upon finding this person. Even when it seemed the streets doubled back on themselves and I was sure Mother had lost her way, she continued with confidence on a new route. One child we saw, who seemed to be with her father, wore the vibrant colors of a Loligo squid. I hadn't thought the people here were capable of anything more than brown! The father didn't cast a glance at us as he pulled her along.

We turned on another street written in a foreign language, this street held two story houses made of stone. Light was absent from their windows, possibly because of how early it was in the day. Mother continued past a good 5 houses and their meager yards' of pavement before halting at one that had a sign written in large lettering. The Butler's Residence. It's official nature screamed at the person reading it, and I was surprised Mother didn't cast a glance at it before opening the short gate any person of reasonable height could easily step over. The sidewalk thinned on its way to the Butler Residence. There were two steps up to the front door, of which had a brass knocker hanging upon it gloomily. 

I saw from where we perched before it that only one small light shown in the upper floor window. Mother lifted the brass handle, letting it drop loudly, the sound echoing through the quiet neighborhood. With her hands clasped in front of her she waited patiently. I counted the seconds, getting up to 10 before she lifted her hand again, hesitating before touching the handle. She did the same thing as the first, I counted 4 seconds before the door opened. 

A man with a round belly held the door open, a striped nightgown dressing him in white and gray. His hair showed his age, and his large face revealed an abundance of wealth. He cleared his throat for a bit longer than usual, opening his eyes a tad wider to see who was before him. "What do you come for?" He asked, as he'd only seen Mother and her bright clothing so far. 

"You are Mr. Butler?" She asked politely. 

"What is your business with him?" He put his face out a little bit, looking closer into hers. It seemed truly strenuous for him to keep his eyes open. 

"I come from Mr. Hadvard. You have recently done some trade with him on the western shore," Mother informed him, as if he didn't know where his coins went. 

"Of course yes, good man. What does he need?" He waved his hand, signaling that he was all ears.

"I am Miatra Levafgont, I'm sure the Captain has mentioned me," She explained patiently. Mr. Butler became silent, looking down at his feet. I shifted my own, the rocks on the pavement crackling under my boots. 

"Mmm... Miatra is an unfamiliar name as of the moment. But I'm sure if you know the Captain you are of an honorable mention," He returned his hindered gaze to Mother's face. 

"Yes, I've known him for a good deal of time, and he has said a few favorable words about yourself. So I have come in hope that you can provide a job for me, as I am in need of one."

"Oh," he began, "I was not expecting such a thing so early in the hour. Could you perhaps come at a later time?" He stepped back. 

"What time would you propose?" Mother asked calmly. 

Mr. Butler grew nervous, his hands fluttering everywhere, "6 o' clock, please, good day," He shut the door. 

Mother relaxed, turning around, "Well that's that. We should find some food yes?" She took my hand. I nodded, and we strolled out of the tall neighborhood.