Chapter 3

A bang jolted me out of my dreams, I looked about. Nothing was familiar for a slow second, the room I was in wasn't filled with hammocks and the walls weren't bent to the shape of the hull. There was no sway either, only Mother just barely opening her eyes reminded me of where we were. Another sound at the door, I saw the dust coming off of the door at every impact. Mother finally got up, only a small amount of alarm on her face. 

"Who's there?" She yelled in her morning voice. 

"Open the door woman!" A familiar voice responded, it was the Captain. Mother smoothed back her hair, striding over to the skinny door frame and opening it wide. 

"Hadvard. Why are you here? It is so early," She placed a hand on her hip. 

"I thought you would be over-joyed to see me Miatra, has the dry-land affected your bearings?" 

"Hadvard,"Mother looked him in the eye. From where I sat I could see his cheerful attitude fade. 

"Alright, come. I need to make some things clear," He put one arm over her shoulder and waved at me, "We will be right back." I squinted my eyes at him, watching as Mother closed the door behind her. 

"Stay put," She added before it clicked shut. What am I to do now? I sat back on the bed, taking out Jutu. It was strange having a weapon in my hands, and I began to second guess my buying it. I had gotten along fine thus far without it. Perhaps I could acquire a less elaborate tool for a cheaper price. The sun was barely glimmering outside, the window letting in the white of the morning. 

Boots thumping down the hallway made my hopes rise of their return. Perhaps we could go home to the ship too. "It's okay Hadvard, I understand. Goodbye," Mother's voice said quietly from the other side. Her voice made me believe something had gone a sharp left. 

"Good luck Miatra," the Captain said before his heavy boots pounded away. Mother open the door, her eyes downcast. The pouch tied to her sash showed an exuberance of coin. 

"What is it Mother? Did something happen?"I moved off of the bed. Her eyes scanned the floor. 

"I will tell you now that we will not be returning to Myogula, for now this city will become our home," my stomach dropped at her words. 

"Are you serious?" I searched her eyes, of which she returned a hard stare. 

"Yes, we will stay here. I will find a job somewhere, and we will stay here until we are comfortable." 

"You mean they're leaving us? Captain Hadvard is leaving us?" My voice continually rose, disbelief overtaking my senses. 

"Correct, I have the money I made on my own from the boat. But that is all. It comes out to be 76 silvers."

"Well when are they leaving?" My feet already started to move towards the door, ready to chase after the Captain. 

"Now," my heart sped up, I couldn't let my childhood home leave me, I raced out of the door. "Juhtuk! Wait!" Mother called behind me, I heard the jingle of coins behind me as she followed me out of the hotel. I went straight across the beach to the staircase, looking out over the now gray beach. Captain Hadvard had almost made it to the water. I raced down the steps, nearly tripping on my feet. Mother's firm grip pulled me back. 

"Wait!" I yelled as loud as my morning voice could, which sounded like a poorly tuned cricket leaking out its song. 

"Juhtuk, listen to me. You cannot go back there, this is our home," She told me quietly, "Maybe the next ship that arrives can harbor us as a part of their crew, but for now we stay here. Remember, make the best out of every situation." As she spoke I looked out at the Captain wading to the ship, nearly there. "Come on," Mother turned me away, we walked back up the stairs. 

She squeezed my shoulders knowingly as we walked across the street. "How about that blade smith you got Jutu from? You think he can afford any apprentices?" I couldn't even consider her finding a job. I took out Jutu from my sash, handing it over to her. "Why did you give me this sweet? It is yours."

"I want to take it back. I don't need it anymore," I explained quietly, opening the door to the inn for her. 

"Thank you, but you don't need to do that." 

"No I want to," I insisted. 

"Alright. You go return it to him now, get the refund, and come straight home," she patted my back, handing it to me so I took a hold of the handle. 

"Yes ma'am, I will be as fast as I can," I ran out of the inn and used my memory to find the shop  again. It was easy to spot, it was at a corner with its display a dazzling showcase of fashioned silver. The chimney smoked from the work going on inside, I went in. 

The blade-smith wasn't anywhere in the front. "Excuse me!" I called. No response, "Excuse me!" I repeated, louder this time. There was a quiet to a noise I hadn't noticed was in the air before. He came out, charred thick gloves being wiped on a black towel. 

"Ahh! Young maiden! You return! What can I help with?" He took his position right in the center of the counter. 

I stepped forward, holding out Jutu. "I wanted to return this to you. I am no longer in need," the man guffawed. 

"You do not need Jutu? My most precious dagger?" Guilt weighed my chest. "Don't feel bad good maiden, Jutu has no hurt feelings if you have no use, would rather be in the hands of one who does," he used took off his gloves and received the dagger. "I will get your money," he returned to the back of the shop, the sound of coins jingling appeased the ear. He came back right after, "There you are," he dropped 10 silver in my palm. 

"Thank you," I bowed, turning around. 

"Come again!" he called before I closed the door, pouring the coins into my pouch. I felt a lot lighter with a dagger no longer wearing me down. Men and young boys were coming out to start work, making me think of mother. I sprinted back to the inn, where she was paying for another night with the reserve money. 

"Ma!" I said, she turned around, giving a smile to the man across the counter. 

"It went well I see," she observed. 

I tried to catch hold of my breath, "Yes."

"You should rest in the room, I have some business to tend to." Her leaving again did not bode well by now. 

"Where are you going?" I asked as she walked past.

"Just some connections to Hadvard, they should be able to help in our situation."

"Can I come too?" I trotted after her. 

She considered it. "You can, only if you are quiet and don't ask any questions," I smiled, relieved to be by her side. We walked out of the inn, beginning our journey through our new city.