Chapter 14

Trevor opened the door to the hotel room and located the light switch. The light above the door effortlessly illuminated the entire room. A lamp on the night table between the two small beds seemed redundant for the size of the space. The bed to the left was pushed against the outside wall which featured a small window; a small space wide enough for the night table separated it from the second bed. The wall along the head of the beds separated the main room from the bathroom which featured a small shower in the cramped space shared with the other fixtures. A small open closet outside the bathroom door was enough space for the amount of clothing Chelsea and Trevor carried with them. Beyond the foot of the beds, immediately to the left of the door, a small table and two chairs lined the wall below a tiny wall mounted television.

"Well, I can see why the room was cheap," Trevor said as he scanned the room from the doorway.

"Wow, this makes the dorms at school look like mansions," Chelsea added.

"I need to shower, then we can go out, maybe have a look around." Trevor said. "Did you want to use the shower first? Your hair will probably take longer to dry than mine."

"No, you go ahead. I'll have one, but after you," She replied. "Which bed is mine?"

Chelsea claimed the bed on the right, leaving the one pressed up along the exterior wall for Trevor. While he showered, she removed the clothing from her suitcase and hung some of the items in the closet. The book with the gold lettering took its place on the night table between the beds. She paused for a moment as she looked around for a place to keep her underwear and socks. There wasn't any dresser drawers and leaving them out in the open on the shelf in the closet didn't seem quite right. Her shorts could go on the shelf along with the t-shirt she carefully refolded, the underwear would have to go back into the suitcase. She paused for a moment as she remembered that she would only be spending one night; perhaps unpacking everything wasn't necessary.

The sound of water flowing from the shower stopped. She quickly gathered the panties and bra she had left on the bed and put them back in the suitcase, out of sight of her roommate. Chelsea zipped the suitcase closed and placed it beneath the blouses and slacks she had hung on one side of the closet. She didn't want to appear to be lingering outside the bathroom, so she quickly moved back to the side of her bed and rummaged in her backpack and retrieved her tablet to appear as if she were busy reading.

Trevor slid the pocket door open and casually walked through the room with a towel wrapped and secured with a fold and tuck about his waist. His exposed skin had been dried but still glistened with a few scattered droplets. A trickle of water ran from his hair down the middle of his back. He worked at the zipper of his suitcase to retrieve clothing from within. The lump of clothing he had dropped beside it on the bed made it clear he hadn't even temporarily reused his underwear; the towel was the only item on his body at that moment.

Chelsea had read somewhere that all humans possess latent telekinetic abilities. The key to unlocking this ability was intense focus. She put this theory to work trying to harness the unused powers of her mind. Despite a few seconds of intense focus, the fold and tuck did not loosen; the towel remained securely in place. Her mind over matter experiment was a failure, and she felt embarrassed for even thinking of it. She hoped he hadn't noticed her prolonged gaze at his waist.

"Are you going to shower?" Trevor asked. "While you're in there I'm going to get dressed out here."

"Oh, ahhh, yes. I think I should. Just a second," she said before turning towards the bathroom.

Chelsea doubled back and squatted in front of her suitcase to open the zipper enough to pull out a fresh change of underwear. She didn't want to risk emerging from the bathroom wearing just a towel and discover that Trevor had mastered telekinetic powers. She stood up and selected a blouse and kilt. If she wasn't prepared to let Trevor see her underwear sitting on the bed or closet shelf, she certainly wasn't ready for him to see them on her body.