Chapter 2.1: Unwelcome

Mahani didn't want to be here.

Dozens of strangers trailing from behind her. In the open of the palace orchard. After what happened this morning, even her favorite giant balete trees seemed to be perfect for an ambush. Mahani remembered how this all started.

She takes her morning trip to the Selahin market. Before dawn, fruits, fish, meat, and vegetables teem in the marketplace. Choosing carefully from a pile of lettuce, Mahani puts in some of the most passable bundles in her screwpine basket.

"Five bundles, " she tells the young lady vending the vegetables.

"That would be ten piyasas, miss."

Opening her black piyasa pouch, she finds only nine piyasas and a half ring.

"Is this okay for now? I can pay you tomorrow morning." The vendor rolls her eyes and takes her money.

A hand grabs her from beneath the lettuce stand. Mahani gasps.

"It seems like you're a little short on the piyasas, missy."

Mahani glares at the man. "If you want to know, we happen to be perfectly fine."

The large black man behind the voice laughs. "I assume by the we you mean your family, eh? Whatever you say. But if you are short, there's a certain black curtain behind that mango stand.

Someone's lending piyasas by the kilo. You look like someone who might want to know that."

Four weeks later, the masked men started their attack. Snatching children, daughters, sons, wives when they were alone. Now Burkon.

Out of pity, the Maluni had given her a job as a palace tour guide. Which was reasonable because she knew the grounds more than any outsider.

And ludicrous because she would be unwelcome in a place she once knew as home. All of what Mahani knew and belonged to was in this building just two years ago. But they couldn't give me even the sliver of autonomy I had as a cooped-up rice cake.

Mahani looked to the group of nobles she would be guiding. These travelers came from all over Hamartia to gaze at the celebrated Palace of Selah. Most likely none of them had ever been so deep debt to get their spouses beaten speechless by strangers in black facial scarves.

"Gaze, dear nobles, upon the glory of the Selahin Palace. They say that an elephant pack's weight worth of piyasas was spent on making this monument. An enchanting, domed monument built to groom the nobles from all the corners of Hamartia."

None of them have ever worked for less than they were worth. Or ever worked at all. She remembered when was a binukot, and shuddered. How could I ever let my let life be just that?

With the damp grass on her bare feet, Mahani led the guests through the garden. Although the sun's peak was unbearable for the nobles, Mahani bathed in it now, cherishing every ray. After a few minutes of heat, their small talk and petty squabbles filled the garden air.

At this point, Mahani had to stop herself from always looking behind her at every suspicious sound. She doubted that the Reapers would make a second strike so soon after their first one. Mahani tried to focus on the tour.

"This is the first room of twelve in the palace, holding the greatest collection of musical instruments and musicians in the country. The other twelve explore the other main disciplines."

She knew her tone was starting to become lethargic. Mahani heard more rustling from behind he, but chose to ignore it for now.

Then, someone from the group made a hissing sound that made Mahani turn. She saw the Malun of Kalis step back quickly from her while another young man came closer.