Chapter 5.1: Burn

------

Hedonia pulled her chin up and stood regally in front of Mahani. In a detached tone, she addressed her niece.

"As a Selahin citizen, I am sure you are aware that I don't take orders from commoners." Or anyone for that matter.

"In addition, I cannot tolerate insubordination from any of my subjects. Why, " the Maluna scoffed, " you must be daft parading in here to accuse this poor man of so insidious a crime."

Ouch, that didn't hurt at all.

Breathing in, Mahani readied herself for where this was going. Desperately, she wind-spoke to Caelem, but he was across the other side of the palace garden still nibbling on loose treats. Even if the message hit the spot, he could never get here on time.

With a stoic expression, the Maluna lifted her head and stared down at Mahani, just like her aunt always did when she was a little girl.

At her parents' funeral, on her birthdays, when bypassing each other in the palace halls, Mahani remembered that condescending look. She cursed herself for being so rash.

Why did I think she would concede her pride for the kingdom?

Finally, the Maluna bellowed. "Imbal!"

From just the group in front of them, a slender young woman with lanky hair shuffled towards them. When the woman finally arrived at where they were standing, she outreached the back of her palm. The Maluna unhesitatingly took it and placed it on her forehead.

Who is this? Why is she blessing the Maluna?

Scanning this 'Imbal', Mahani noticed a lot of things. First, that the woman was clearly younger than the Maluna. Elders were usually the only ones to bestow a forehead blessing on others. Imbal wasn't even wearing garments of nobility.

As Mahani perused the woman, she noticed that there were no mounds on the woman's upper garments. As Imbal held her head up in superiority, Mahani could see the sharp protrusion under Imbal's throat. The lady's forehead was clearly molded so that it was slanting upwards--- like a natural crown.

An asug, Mahani realized.

A shaman-priestess born in a man's body but bestowed with a feminine spirit. Asugs were above your local shaman. They were sorcerers of a higher order.

The Maluna continued. "Imbal, if you may be bothered, please take away this demented commoner away from our sights." Her aunt held out a piece of paper with her two hands, slightly bowing and trying to disguise its nature.

It was a paper bill. The pale-skinned traders from the Far East had introduced Hamartians to it. It was the value of an elephant's weight in piyasas---one room of the palace.

"I'm sure that with your capabilities, you can cure her insanity." Now Mahani stepped back.

"What? I'm not insane! It's true! There are black-scarved people snatching Selahins in the dead of the night to remind them of their deb---" Mahani felt a strong hand clamp down her mouth.

"If something was happening in Selah, I would know about it." The Maluna chuckled sweetly.

"Well, that problem's gone. Back to gaiety and inebriation, men. Better drown in sweet coconut wine than in the netherworld rivers." The men all roared in agreement, including the Malun of Kalis, who took his cup albeit cautiously.

Mahani flailed her arms and kicked wildly, her screams muffled as Imbal's assistant dragged her out of the party. Imbal trailed serenely behind them, passing by Caelem who seemed to be well-distracted with the food.

Come on, Caelem. An asug is kidnapping me. Do something!

Suddenly, the bubble of Caelem's laughter snagged unto her ears. An asug? Boy, you're in some deep trouble now.

------

They walked through the forest path that went from the right of the palace walls.

Reaching a coconut-smoking hut, Imbal's assistant threw Mahani on the ground. They are totally going to burn me and use my bodily oil for some weird sorcerer spell.

She stayed perfectly silent, waiting for Caelem to come and rescue here.

The asug tapped her foot impatiently on the ground. "Well, are you going to scream or not?"

"Why in the world would you want me to scream? Someone could come and save me."

The asug laughed. "Well, first of all, I just dragged through a whole palace in plain sight, with the clear intent of killing, or torturing you at the very least. No one stopped me then. Second, please scream if we're going to keep this facade up. We must make the nobles think I am doing what I was 'ordered' to do."

Mahani hesitated. She took a closer look at Imbal's henchman in the darkness and saw he had a single eye,  the battara-given birthmark of a warrior. The man was certainly not shy to intimidate her with his unibrow.

Hesitatingly, Mahani cleared her throat and opened her mouth. Then she closed it. Open. Close.

She flailed her arms to the air in frustration. "I'm sorry, I just can't scream without prompting."

The cyclops walked threateningly towards her. Mahani shrieked. Waves of screams she didn't know were pent up inside her traveled through the Selahin night.

"That's much better." Imbal took out the paper bill that the Maluna had given her on the palace. "This is for you."

What? Does my aunt think she can pay me off after shaming me in front of the whole city?

Mahani took it nonetheless and look down at the bill. Something was off. It wasn't in the Far-Eastern script, but archaic Hamartian. Unfolding it while reading further down, Mahani's eyes widened.

My dearest niece, I apologize for that rude show I put on earlier. I had expected you to come over and reveal the Kalisene Malun's real identity. I already knew that. Imbal is a trusted friend of mine. She will take care of you. I don't know of the Reapers' plans but I need you out of the palace for safety. Stay strong, Mahani.

"She's right, Mahani. Every Selahin is in the palace right now. If we stay here, we have a chance of saving the people." The dazzling shaman looked worryingly at the palace.

Mahani's heart stopped for a split second.

"But, Caelem---"

"Is right here" A swoosh went right through her face as the wind materialized. The Wind Creature looked to his right and saw Imbal standing in the shadows. Caelem bent down on his knees and cupped the asug's feet in his palms.

"Greetings, your Holiness."

-------