Chapter Five- New Friends and New Enemies

Boom.. boom! Catalina's heart was pounding so hard, she was afraid if it was any harder, it would break right out of her chest. Seeing TREASURE, in all of its splendor, caused a miniature battle of emotions to war within her. On one hand, excitement coursed through her veins, with all of the things to see and learn! However, she began to doubt herself. I am a girl with hardly any formal education, an illegal immigrant, a thief! How could I be good enough? she thought. She didn't know what to do, until her mother's last words to her before she boarded the helicopter flooded back. Be strong, my little tiger. You can do anything you set your mind to. They echoed in her brain, filling her with strength. Her family believed in her, and so did the people who invited her to this school. All I have to do is believe in myself, she thought inside her head repeatedly.

They walked through the field towards the center, a walk that took a while, but gave her plenty of time to observe the area and satisfy her curiosity. She asked about a bazillion questions about the amount of students (more or less 100), the after school activities (too many to name), the schedules (they would receive them later), food (the cafeteria served all meals during specific times), the forest (it was a protected national park, but were they allowed on a part of? She didn't really get that.) Catalina also learned that the building made of wood was the horse stable. Actual horse stables! She was so excited! Never before had she seen any animal that large! They could also take lessons in riding as one of the extracurriculars.

Eventually, they entered the main entrance. When they drove up, there was a guardhouse and gates, but then they entered the campus. The grass was so incredibly green, and the entire place smelled like nature. She could breathe deep, and her lungs didn't feel congested with smog. The sun felt warm on her skin, but the trees were so perfectly scattered as to give shade on sunny days, but not block the sun's light completely. At the center of it all was a large statue and fountain. When they got closer, she realized it was Angelica Divrmest, the woman who had single-handedly stopped World War III.

What were the odds? She was Catalina's mentor! She had always looked up to her courage, and wanted to change the world like Angelica had. Her statue was incredible, her figure standing proud and victorious. The water cascaded from the flag she was holding in jets, reflecting the sunlight and causing miniature rainbows to appear. When she looked in the crystal clear water reflected her image back, and for a second she couldn't believe she was actually here.

Upon further examination of the statue, she realized in the reflection there were strange figures and symbols, that seemed like they could be letters. She tried to get a better look, until Mr. Hershel said,

"We'd best be going. You need to go to the orientation Assembly, and it's recommended not to be late."

She made a mental note to come back and examine the symbols when she was alone, and not running late! She was one of the last students to arrive, and the Orientation was about to start, if it hadn't already. Catalina and Mr. Hershel walked through the area in front of the main building, under the scent of pine, and the noise of birds chirping.

"I could get used to this." Catalina sighed in content.

"So could I," replied Mr. Hershel. "But alas, I have to busy of a life and job to stop and smell the flowers in this peaceful place often. Time is a luxury most can't afford. Speaking of time, this is where I will have to say goodbye, Miss Catalina."

She blinked in surprise. "What?" He didn't work here?

She had imagined him as a stable figure she had. An everyday friendly face, her first acquaintance in her new life.

"I'm a pilot. I fly helicopters," Mr. Hershel shrugged. "I was called in by TREASURE to pick you up in Argentina. I just received a request to pick up another passenger."