Chapter 5

"Hello Death. Pestering tormented souls again?"

"Oh Hadrian, you know me so well." Death sighed, leaning on the wall next to the tall man who had caught his attention. On queue, he raised the tip of his finger to light a small fire, watching intently as his partner puffed air to light his pipe.

"Or maybe you're becoming predictable." Hadrian smirked, letting the smoke he had accrued blow out into Death's pale face. A humored scowl crossed his face at those words, and he took a step back to look the dark haired man up and down.

"My my, getting cocky in your old age?" He quipped back.

"Hardly. I'm 28, not an invalid." Hadrian replied, an eyebrow lifted in amusement.

"Or maybe now that you have a gift from Death himself, you think yourself above such mortal qualms as the inevitability of your demise?" 

"I certainly am enjoying your gift. It isn't every day you can enjoy the freedom of the birds one moment, and in the next run with herds of hippogriffs across the wildlands." Hadrian said, an uncommonly melancholic expression flashing in his blue eyes.

Why were his eyes blue...

"Death? You okay there?" They were suddenly chest to naked chest, Hadrian's tanned hand reaching out to run through his hair.

"What... Why are you..." His vision blurred suddenly, and he felt himself falling back, only to be caught on a familiarly stiff bed. One he hadn't felt since...

"Why don't you rest? I'll stay with you for now. After all, it's the least I can do, considering what you gave me." Hadrian chuckled. His eyes suddenly flashed green, and Death felt realization flash through him as his strength began to return.

"You're not..." He began, trying to sit up as his memories came to him in floods.

"I guess it's time for you to wake up, then." Hadrian stated, pity and longing filling his voice. "I wish you could stay with me. But then he would never see you again, and I would never wish that pain on any of my descendants. So instead, you should go. He belongs to you, after all. Just as I belong to you." 

The world around him began to fade, and Death found himself drifting in the dark in shock.

It had been years, centuries since he had seen the first man he had given a part of himself to. A gift. And how long had it been since he had seen the other, the newest gift-bearer? He shook off the last of the fogginess that had clouded his mind since protocol had ruled it. Something had woken him up, and he wasn't about to let this opportunity escape him.

~*~*~*~*

Hadrian,

In the time that you have been gone, our pursuits in the ministry have begun to gain true traction. With the majority of the Wizengamot seats being held by the dark families, there has been little resistance in passing our transitionary measures, and so we will shortly begin introducing our more expansionary laws. Lucius estimates any opposition being cut out by the end of the year.

Hogwarts will be under our control shortly; when that time comes, I expect you to be present. 

-Marvolo

"Any news?" Lys asked, dropping down onto the chair across from Hadrian and lighting up a cigarette. Hadrian glanced at it, a sneer crossing his lips before he sent it flying with a wave of his hand.

"That's disgusting, at least do it outside." He gruffly stated, turning back to the letter.

"That bad, huh?" The vampire responded, gesturing towards the short note. Hadrian let out a sigh, letting the note burn up in his hand and wiping the ashes off the expensive looking couch he was sitting on.

"He's treating me like a child. No, he's acting like a child, like it's impossible for him to just tell me why he doesn't trust me, why he acts as though he doesn't need me anymore, because he does need me, and he knows it!" Hadrian spat, pacing in agitation as red eyes calmly followed him.

"Are you sure this isn't about something else?" Lys calmly asked. Hadrian slowly turned to face him, suspicion clear on his face.

"What are you talking about?"

Lys gave him a look of sympathy, before standing up and pouring the younger man a glass of the bourbon he had been enjoying up to that point. Hadrian delicately took the glass, before downing it with a mild grimace.

"He raised you, did he not? It's understandable that he would be concerned with your safety, and withhold some information from you." Lys reasoned, filling the glass again.

"He didn't." Hadrian bluntly stated. Lys raised a single white eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" He asked, leaning back into the couch in invitation.

"It's complicated." Hadrian replied with a shake of his head. Lysander gave him an unimpressed look, and Hadrian remembered who he was talking to. With a deep sigh, he sat down and drained the glass once again. "I was taken by Dumbledore when I was born. He didn't want another Tom Riddle, so he stole me from my parents and gave me to another family, along with a glamour. Then they died, and I was shipped off to be raised by muggles when I was just a year old. I was known as Harry Potter for years, until..." He cut himself off with a grimace, choosing to ignore all memories of his dead partner.

"I've heard the name. You were quite the star to wizards. So, I'm assuming you then went to Hogwarts?" Lys pressed, curiosity piqued.

"That's where I met my father. And then, later -" Again he cut himself off, this time with pursed lips and noticeable anger.

"Ash, right?"

"How do you know that name?"

"Your father told me of the companion that we're chasing, but nothing more than his name. I thought it best not to touch the subject, before." Lys cautiously supplied. Hadrian nodded.

"Yes, then I met Ash. But he left, and that's that. Now you know my life story, so what sage wisdom do you have to impart on me, oh great immortal?" Hadrian said sardonically.

"Do you miss him?" Lys calmly asked. Hadrian looked away, hiding from inquisitive red eyes.

"It doesn't matter if I miss him. He left." With that, Hadrian stood, making it clear that the conversation was over.

When he had left the room, Lysander poured himself another glass, ruminating on what he had just seen and heard. It was obvious that the boy still loved this 'Ash', even if there was a deep seated anger accompanying it. And now with the context of his childhood, he could clearly see why Hadrian would feel that way. To someone who had never known companionship or love, they would latch onto anything that resembled it as soon as it came their way.

Lysander stood with a hum of satisfaction at his victory, and left to trail after his task.

~*~*~*~*

"My dear, how have these past months treated you?" Dumbledore smiled, looking up from behind his desk.

"I'm nearly done. All that is left is your end of the deal." The hooded figure replied, holding out a locket in the palm of their hand. Dumbledore carefully took it, fingers tracing over the intricate 'S'.

"Of course, of course. My research has not yet produced any answers, however it is still best to collect them now without a way to destroy them, rather than wait and miss our opportunity. I am so very glad you knew Tom so well, it has certainly made this hunt for horcruxes much easier." He smiled, a twinkle in his eyes. "And the creatures? Have they come to understand the circumstances better?"

"Half dead, as you instructed. The leaders are waiting to speak with you."

"Good, good. Well, best not keep them waiting any longer! We wouldn't want the school to be in any sudden danger, now would we?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*