Chapter 9

Hadrian awoke violently, arms flailing and feet kicking phantom hands. His mind felt strained, like he was forcing his awareness onto two planes of reality at once, and only started to grasp where he was after choking on a number of leaves and forcing oxygen into his lungs.

He was vaguely aware that he didn't know where he was, but that seemed to be the least of his worries. His magic was reacting violently to whatever had just happened to his body and soul, not seeming to understand the events that had taken place. And if he were honest, neither could Hadrian.

He remembered dying. He remembered sharp pain spreading through his chest, and a nauseating panic that filled his mind and replaced any rational thought. He remembered the dark elves, and their king's words. 

Hadrian let out a deep sigh, falling onto his back and looking up through the canopy of trees into the night sky.

Ash... hadn't left him. Not intentionally. He had felt like a child again when he had first noticed Ash's disappearance. Like he was back in that cupboard, loveless and angry, but lonely most of all. His soul longed for something that wouldn't leave him, that he could latch onto and not worry about ever losing, and yet that had happened regardless. But now, knowing that it hadn't been because of him... a smile stretched across Hadrian's face. It was small, and felt unnatural after months of disuse, but it was there.

He sat up once again, and the smile disappeared as soon as it had come. Two thin pieces of wood lay in front of him, stark black and almost blending into the emptiness of the night. 

His throat constricted, and he felt an ache in his chest that he hadn't truly felt since... since Draka. 

Hadrian reached out to the dead wood, fingers shaking, but stopped short. He couldn't bring himself to pick them up, not now. His head dropped between his knees, and he took a long, deep breath. Then he stood.

A quick wave of his hand saw the broken wand dissolving into dust, soaking deep into the earth. As soon as it disappeared, Hadrian turned on his heel and started walking.

~*~*~*~*

The sun was just rising as Hadrian emerged from the forest. Lysander stood in the morning sun, shock on his face.

"Hadrian... you look-"

"I'm fine, thank you. Had a little scuffle with the elves is all, they didn't seem to like me much. Why don't we get out of here, hm?" He stated briskly, leading the way into the town. Lysander followed close behind, any emotions gone behind his cool facade. 

The locals they came across almost ran when they saw Hadrian, blood soaked through his once-white dress shirt that was now torn almost into two. He ignored them, along with Lysander's inquiring glances, marching with conviction towards the inn.

"Are we leaving?" Lys finally asked as they walked through old wooden doors.

"Yes." Hadrian replied. They entered the room they had booked and grabbed the few belongings they had brought with them, placing everything into a small bag Lysander carried.

"And where are we going?" Lys pressed, grabbing Hadrian's pale arm as the teen attempted to leave. He ignored the minute flinch that shook the boy's body, holding tight. "Hadrian. Where are we going." He said, tone more serious than Hadrian had ever heard. He stared into Lysander's eyes, then nodded.

"Aria is on the move. We're going to stay ahead of her and protect every last creature in this world. Understand?" 

Lysander stared disbelievingly.

"You can't possibly believe that is a realistic goal, Hadrian. Do you have any idea how many targets she may have? Maybe you can get to half of those clans before her, but what are you even going to do when you're there? We have no way of stopping her!" Lys shouted, grip tightening.

"Maybe I do." Hadrian replied. The vampire was cut short, and Hadrian took the opportunity to rip his arm out of his grasp. "I know what her power is, and I know how to ward against it. So will you come with me or not?" He asked. 

"Fine." Lysander growled.

Hundreds of miles away, an old man smirked.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
END PART 1