Tell It Like It Is

Tell It Like It Is
In this exercise, tell it like it is. Be raw, be real, be honest, but tell it like it is.

I woke up in the cheap motel room with a terrible headache but that was oftentimes the norm. Throwing my legs over the side of the bed, I sat up. After combing through an overflowing ashtray, I found a half-smoked cigarette and lit it. I then grabbed several unfinished alcoholic drinks from the nightstand and a nearby dining table and combined them into one. I downed the liquid concoction of various beer and hard liquors. The drink was warm and tasted awful, but it was never about the taste. I then found that someone had carelessly discarded a pizza crust on the floor. I grabbed it and quickly ate it without tasting it.

With breakfast now out of the way I put on my pants and fastened them, but they fell straight to the floor. I had probably lost thirty pounds in the past couple of months. I made a mental note of a razor blade sitting on top of a mirror to use later to resize my belt, but for now, I'd go without them. I needed to eat real food, but had no money for such things even though it was Sunday and I had just gotten paid on Friday, I was already broke. Food was just a luxury anyway.

After grabbing a baggie out of my pants I made my way through a sea of half-dressed strangers, strewn about the floor, to the bathroom. Someone was passed out on the toilet with a syringe still in their arm. After grabbing the needle, I climbed into the bathtub and pulled the shower curtain closed for privacy. I lined the edge of the tub with a lighter, spoon, syringe, and my medicine. I had to move quickly before the shakes started because then I would need assistance and that would mean I would have to share. I wasn't about to share, because this was all I had left and it would be another five and a half days before I could afford more.

I emptied the packet of grayish rose-colored powder into the spoon and heated it until it was liquefied. I drew it into the syringe and administered it into my arm, as I had done so many, many times before. Life for the next few minutes was absolute bliss and after which, I would be on the unrelenting quest for the next state of nirvana. Nothing would deny me. I would beg, borrow, steal, whatever I had to do. There was no low that I wouldn't sink to get my next fix. It was the only thing that mattered to me and I would rather die than live without it.

A/N: I have personally never done heroin, so my limited knowledge came from friends, family, and coworkers that have battled the addiction.