12

I was curled up on the couch watching some old Japanese cartoons with Cross. But I couldn't really focus on that.

Nightmare and Papa were in the kitchen. Talking rather loudly.

"It's been two weeks since the divorce and he's already-!"

"Error calm down. He's not in your life anymore so you shouldn't bother."

"But Night, it's as if he never even cared! It like h-he didn't even-," the rest was muffled by a sob.

"That doesn't matter now! Stressing yourself out over him isn't going to help you now. Just sit down and relax. I'll make some coco."

I frowned.

Ink was getting married. Not only that but a rumor was going around that he was carrying to.

Papa seemed really upset over it.

I didn't get it.

I squeaked as I was suddenly lifted.

I look up to see Cross. He smiled down at me.

"How about we go out and get some nice-cream?"

I hesitantly smile back with a nod. I distraction would be nice.

Cross carried me to the kitchen before clearing his throat, making Papa and Nightmare turn.

Papa looked like he had been crying.

Cross spoke with a soft smile. "I'm taking Gray to Underswap for some nice-cream."

Papa smiled with a nod. "Alright. Just be back by sundown."

Cross gave a thumbs up and opened a portal.

I shivered a bit as we entered into the snowy area before Snowdin. Thankfully Crosses fluffy jacket was warm enough to protect me.

He carried me to the nice-cream guy and waved a small hello.

"Oh! Some new customers! Would you two like some nice-cream? It's the frozen treat that warms your heart!"

Cross nodded. "What do you want Gray?" He bounced me in his arms, making me giggle.

I squint at the labels reading the flavors. "I want a... a Strawberry Cheesecake popsicle."

He nodded, taking out a small gold pouch. "We'd like a Fudge and a Cheesecake please."

Guy pulled out the requested pops and Cross handed him some money.

Cross handed me mine which I opened and began nibbling on.

Cross began walking down the snowy path after unwrapping his own. The both of us happily taking in the scenery.

We came to a small bench after a while and sat down. I was nearly finished with my pop and Cross had already devoured his own and tossed the stick away.

I glanced up to Cross. "Cross... may I ask you something?"

"Shoot kiddo." He chuckled.

"Why is Papa so upset about Ink getting married? Especially after everything he's done."

He patted my skull for a moment before frowning.

After a moment he forced a smiled.

"Grey. Love is a strange, wonderful and.... dangerous thing. There will be moments in time where you'll love someone, even if they hurt you or you hurt them. The thing is, you have decided if it's worth it to stay in that relationship."

"You're Papa." He sighed sadly.

"He loves Ink very much. Even if Ink hurt him. Even if he hurt Ink. And he decided it was worth the fights between them to stay together."

Cross rubbed his thumb across my cheek. The place where the glass had cut me.

"But when their fights hurt you, accidentally or not, that's where he drew the line. That's when he said it wasn't worth it anymore and left. But still, he doesn't love Ink any less."

Cross looked down at me with a sad smile. "Gray. If you love someone and it hurts you to be with them. Promise me you'll leave. Promise me you won't fall into that kind of misery like your Papa did."

"I promise."