Chapter 10 - Newbie

It’s been a week in a half since I started running, a month since I got here and today is the day we get a new greenie. Yes, I have picked up the language of the glade. Minho laughed at me a couple of times for using glader slang but soon he learned to live with it. So far I haven’t had any more ‘nightmares’ or memories so that’s good I guess. No more pain in my back and I still haven’t checked to see if there is actually something burned into my skin. I just live with what I have for the time being. This place isn’t bad if you think about it, food, water, shelter and the best part. People to have around you, people that actually care about you. I guess it could be worse.

            We all wait around the greenie box for the new greenie to show up. There was an annoying alarm going off but it finally shut off. Newt and Minho opened the door and I walked forward to see who the poor shank was.

“Is it another girl?”

“I call dibs!”

“Is she hot?” I hear more and more comments. For some reason I don’t want it to be a girl I kind of like being the only girl.

“Shuck it all of you!” I yell and step forward. I look down and see a boy about sixteen years old just standing there. He shields his eyes from the blinding light and Newt and Minho toss down a rope. He gets in it like he knows what he’s doing and they pull him up. He just stands there as we all stare back at him. He is tall and has brown gorgeous hair, ice blue eyes and very muscular.

“What are you all looking at?” He asks annoyed. He’s gonna fit in here just fine.

“Welcome to the Glade shank. Names Alby.” Alby says holding a hand for him to shake.

“All right. So why am I here?” He asks shaking Albys hand.

“We don’t know but better get used to it, this is your home now.” Minho says walking up to the boy.

“What’s your name?” The boy asks.

“Minho. And you?” Minho says putting his hands on his hips.

“Brent I think.” He says.

“Don’t worry we all don’t know a thing about how we got here or anything, just go with it and follow the rules.” I say walking up to the boy. He smiles and looks me up and down. Is he checking me out? I blush a little.

“And you are?” He asks.

“Oh that’s top secret.” I say smiling. I still have not told anyone my name even Chuck and he’s my best friend here.

“Everyone just calls me girl or greenie, but I’m not the greenie anymore so you can’t call me that!” I say glaring at Minho, he smirks back at me I roll my eyes and laugh.

“So are you like the only girl here or what?” He asks.

“Only girl.” I say proudly. He smiles and it kind of creeps me out.

“All right. Can I get some food?” He asks.

“Sure ya can.” Minho says and I step back from the boy. Newt hasn’t said a word to the greenie yet. I stand next to Newt and he looks like he is daydreaming. I nudge him making him fall out of his trance.

“Whatcha doin?” I ask.

“Oh um nothin just thinkin.” He says.

“About what?” I ask.

“When you first arrived, how you climbed the bloody crates then ran out the maze.” He chuckles.

“Yeah never doing that again.” I laugh.

“You do it every bloody day klunk head.” He laughs.

“Ooohhh yeahh.” I say. We both laugh then I remember the greenie.

“You should go talk to the greenie.” I say to him.

“Oh yeah that’s right another bloody shank to scare the klunk out of.” He smiles. I roll my eyes and he goes and talks to Brent. I walk back to the kitchen and make a sandwich. I walk back out and see Chuck talking to Brent, probably annoying the klunk out of him over by the big apple tree. Newt and Minho are they’re sitting with him. I laugh as I get there and see Brent’s eyes pleading for help. I sit down and hand him the sandwich. Chuck is still chatting away while he eats.

“Chuckie leave the poor shank alone I know we all love your stories and all but he just got here.” I say. Looks of hurt spreads across Chuck’s face and I immediately feel sorry for him. I pull him into a hug and he smiles and laughs. I let him go.

“Now go bother some other poor shank.” I laugh and he skips away. We all laugh at the site of Chuck skipping. Brent gets done eating his sandwich then turns to me.

“What do I look like?” Brent asks me.

“Well let’s see you are about as tall as Newt, you have brown amazing hair, you’re pretty skinny but you have large muscles, bright ice blue eyes and I would say you’re about sixteen maybe seventeen at most.” I say.

“Really I’m that hot.” He says whipping his hair. I laugh.

“No you’re as hot as dog klunk on a burning stove.” Newt says and Minho, Newt and I start laughing our butts off but Brent looks at us confused.

“Klunk means poop, its just glader slang. You’ll get used to it.” I say.

“Oh ok now I get it.” He says.

“So did Alby explain the rules to ya?” I ask.

“Yeah.” He says. Newt and Minho go to a gathering that Alby called about the greenie, leaving Brent and I. We talk about the glade and everyone in it. I tell him some things but not everything knowing he is going on the tour tomorrow. It’s starts getting dark and I show him to the homestead. I get him a sleeping bag and pillow and tell him he can sleep any where except for upstairs. He goes outside and finds a place I guess. I walk upstairs to my room and quickly fall asleep.