Chapter Ten

Mason stared wearily at the sight of his mother's casket being lowered six feet into the dirt. Tears caked his cheeks as Desdemona stood stiffly next to him, her black dress was form fitting and her curly hair was straightened, her lips wearing a simple scarlet red. Mason felt weary, knowing that those red lips would not be staining his own anytime soon, or ever probably.

"Thank you, honey. I know it must have been hard asking for time off from work." He murmured to the female who forced herself not to roll her eyes at the loving nickname he threw her way.

"Yeah, well," She didn't know what to say so left it at that.

Mason noticed, but didn't murmur a word about it, getting distracted by one of his mother's friends. Des took the opportunity to slip away and pull her phone out of her bra, messages from Vixie asking her if she wanted to meet up after the funeral making her heart swell. Before she could message back a hand grabbed her shoulder startling her.

Her blue eyes met scarlet eyes. She frowned.

"Did you get contacts?" She asked.

Mason didn't answer her, "Can we go home now? I'm tired and everyone else is leaving."

Des felt her blood begin to boil but shrugged it off, following him to the car where he got into the passenger side and waited for her. The ride home was silent, Mason barely speaking a word and before either one of them knew it they were inside the house where Ms. Heir passed away in her sleep. A stroke they said.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" Mason asked softly, "I just want to spend time with you if that's alright. We don't seem to do that much anymore, work seems to take most of your time."

Des clenched her jaw, "Yeah, because you don't have a job."

Mason sighed and plopped onto the couch, "I told you, I'm trying Des. Besides, I think I might have one here soon."

"You said that two months ago, Mason." Her voice was cold, her eyes icy.

Mason felt tears prick at his eyes, irritation itching beneath his skin, "Let's not argue about this, Des. Please. Not now."

Icy eyes rolled as Des folded her arms, "Why not? Because mommy dearest is dead? Stop being such a baby, Mason. My friends have been missing for weeks."

Mason's shoulders slumped. Tears started to run down his cheeks only pissing Des off more.

"You need to fucking grow up, Mason! You're not a fucking man, you're a piece of fucking shit." /God, I don't even know why I'm with you./ Des shook her head, taking her phone out again, sending a quick message to her lover, "I'm leaving, there's going to be a search party for Delilah and Juda tonight."

"But I need you right now," whimpered Mason.

Des didn't say a word and only left, the door closing behind her form. Mason stared emptily at the palm of his hands before realization slapped him across the face and forced him to jump to his feet and slammed his fist against the wall repeatedly until not only the wall was broken, but the wall as well. Why would Des where a dress into the woods? Not just a dress but high heels as well.