Prologue

Malty POV

Mama was having an old friend watch over Melromarc on her behalf while she was at some conference. She entrusted the country to someone named Seaetto. I had met him once several years ago. His daughter was ok I guess, but I don't remember her well enough to really say. What I did remember was that he had a very beautiful wife, but she died about two years ago. Mama said he remarried some demi-human woman. Apparently, before she died his previous wife had a second child with him, and now this demi-human is raising him. Then the wave hit. Seaetto and his wife were killed, we still don't know what became of his children.

"This is so boring!" I said, "Why is it I have to come to supervise the rebuilding efforts of some stupid little demi-human village." I complained as I stopped at a nearby river, "Ma-ma." Someone said from behind a large rock, suddenly I heard them fall to the ground. "Great another thing I have to deal with!" I said as I walked over to them prepared to find some dead or dying demi-human, but instead, I found a small human child who couldn't have been any older than three, his clothes were stained with blood and were tattered, he was holding something but I couldn't tell what. When I got closer I saw that he was holding onto a woman's severed hand. I quickly took the hand from him and checked to see if he was still alive, he had a very bad fever and cuts all over his arms and legs, but he was still alive. "Here drink this." I said as I poured some water into his mouth, he struggled to drink it and when he did he started coughing violently. I put some healing ointment onto his cuts healing them.

For the rest of the time, I was supervising I had the child with me. His fever didn't break so I decided that if it doesn't break by the time the rebuilding is finished I would take him home with me.

(y/n)

"(y/n) sweetie, I want you to hold my hand alright sweetie." Mama said as she took my hand.

" Mama said as she took my hand

"There now I won't lose you." She said sweetly, "Now let's go home. It looks like it's going to storm soon so I'd rather not get stuck out here when it starts. So stay close to me while we're in the crowd alright." Mama said as we walked.

We never made it home. The wave hit before we ever made it home. When the monsters came Mama picked me up and ran until we were outside the city, "(y/n) sweetie we need to run and find Daddy!" Mama said as we ran, Mama must have been tired since I was running ahead of her still holding her hand, "(y/n) sweetie run, don't look back!" Mama said as I continued running. I thought she was still behind me since I could still feel the warm touch of her hand holding mine.

Eventually, I ran into a forest only to be shot at from behind. The arrows left cuts all over my arms and legs, one even cut my cheek. Everything hurt, but I kept running.

Eventually, the wave ended. I made it to a river, "Ma-ma." I said as I passed out still holding my mother's hand.

Malty POV

"Mama?" The boy said groggily as he woke up, "Oh so you're awake then, I am Malty S Melromarc. What is your name?" I asked, "(y-y/n)." He said timidity, "Wait Seaetto's son?!" I said, "Daddy." He said, "I'm so sorry, but your mother and father were killed during the wave." I said. It took him a few seconds to process what I had just told him before he broke down into tears. "Here lie back down, you're still very sick so please get some rest." I said as I got up to walk away, but suddenly his small hand grabbed mine. "You want me to stay?" I said as I turned to face him, he nodded. He was still crying a bit so I wiped the tears from his eyes.