Unexpected (Part 1)

Part Summary: Everyone knew Fred Weasley, the cocky, confident, Gryffindor beater and prank extraordinaire. Everything was pretty damn perfect, until he meets a girl who sweeps him off his feet quite literally.

************************************************************************************************************

"George, stop laughing and hurry up!" Fred exclaimed as he sprinted down the long corridor. George was slowed down by his loud laughter and Filch, though he wasn't as fast as he used to be, was soon catching up.

This was the aftermath of yet another prank gone wrong; they were never meant to get caught. The Slytherins were meant to get drenched through, and the twins were supposed to have been hidden. But someone couldn't help laughing. Loudly. Thus why they were running from the scene of the crime, but no matter how many twists and turns they took, Filch was still right behind them like he knew just where they were going next.

George soon started to ease his laughing after he noticed Mrs. Norris was at his feet, trying to lash at his ankles. They could hear Filch yelling from behind them as they took another turn. "Let's split up," George suggested as he avoided another swipe from the aggressive cat, "at least then only one of us'll get caught." Fred risked a glance over his shoulder, Filch wasn't far behind and he'd be damned if he got caught; he didn't really fancy serving another detention tonight.

"Alright," he nodded, signalling which way he would go. George charged one way as Fred carried on, leading Filch away from his twin. Fred rounded a few more corners, he scanned behind him as he turned another only to bump into something and lose his balance.

Only, this something turned out to be a someone. He hit the body and turned to fall on his back, causing the person he hit to trip over and land on top of him with an 'umph.'

Fred groaned and shook his head, trying to shake the dizziness away as soon as possible, when he realised what had just happened. He stared up to see a girl lifting herself from him, using her arms to raise her upper body from his. She took her head in one hand and left the other on the cold stone floor at the side; her legs were at either side of him and her books and papers were scattered on the floor. The girl look down at him with an exasperated expression on her face. "What the hell, Weasley?" She complained as she tried to get off of him, stumbling a little before she gained her balance. Offering him a hand, she looked around the corner that he came from to hear Filch making his way over.

Fred realised this too and quickly took her hand, "Hide me!" He pleaded, his heart racing as the footsteps grew louder. His eyes were wide and his red hair stuck to his freckled forehead. The girl seemed to ponder for a second, before letting out a huff and dragging the hand that was still in her's to a door near them. Rapidly, she shoved him inside and slammed the door, knowing Filch was only seconds away, and hurried to collect her things and put them back in her satchel. A scrawny old figure came jogging towards her and panted for a few seconds.

"Where did he go?" The man demanded, noticing her books and homework on the ground.

She looked up, shuffling the remaining papers with a scowl on her face, then pointed down another hallway. "He went that way," she grumbled, annoyance dripping from her lips. Filch was about to go when Mrs. Norris pawed at the door behind her, at which point Freds heart almost stopped, before the girl shood at the cat with her paper. "And get your bloody cat out of my way!"

Once Filch took off in the direction she pointed, she waited a moment before standing with her now full bag and opening the door. She leaned against the door with a subtle smirk. "What did you do now, Weasley?" The girl mused as he stood in the doorway.

Fred let out a breathy laugh and took this moment to take in the girl's features; the (h/l) (h/c) hair framing her face and the beautiful (e/c) eyes that stared into his soul to the glossy pink lips and blush covered cheeks that he wanted to touch so badly.

He quickly recovered from his staring, and tore his eyes away from her for a second to regain his witty composure. "Y'know, just another prank. The usual really." He offered, until she raised an eyebrow to signal he wasn't saying enough. "Let's just say the fourth year Slytherins are soaked and smell like seaweed." He quipped, but noticing the colours of her tie he perceived that she might not actually be impressed.

However, he was more than surprised when she started giggling and held a genuine smile on her face. "You what?" She laughed again, obviously not holding any pity for her fellow Slytherins. At this point, Fred began to laugh as well; her giggling contagious.

Their laughter subsided to pleased grins and Fred registered that he had no idea who his saviour was. But in all fairness, she probably didnt know his name either (being a twin and all). So, in an attempt to keep his cool demeanour, he took out his hand and introduced himself. "I'm-uh-Fred Weasley by the way." Then immediately mentally kicked himself for almost stumbling over his words.

Instead of holding it against him like he expected, she just smiled and shook his hand. "(Y/N) (Y/L/N)."

"(Y/N)," He repeated, determined to make the name stick, "nice to meet you, (Y/N)." Fred was about to say something else when a group of angry Slytherins stomped around the corner, their shoes sloshing and robes dripping with each step they took. Without hesitating, he swiftly pulled (Y/N) into the small closet and shut the door in one fluid and quiet motion. She was about to protest when he hastily placed his hand over her mouth, shushing her as the sloppy, wet feet padded nearer.

The Slytherins started to bicker, ranting about the twins prank and where they could've gone and what not. Meanwhile, the couple were starting to notice just how small the closet was; it was basically a small square room that would have fit them in fine if it didn't have so many large shelves and sweeping brooms filling the space. The two were pressed up against each other, shelves digging into their backs, while they tried to be still enough to avoid knocking anything over or making any noise. Fred had one hand over her lips and the other grasping her wrist, while she held his arm, neither of them dared move at risk of blowing their cover; and honestly, neither of them really wanted to.

But as the group began to clear, Fred removed his hand from her mouth, then taking in how close their faces were as he looked away from the door; and he thanked Merlin that the dark room hid his flushed cheeks. "S-sorry bout that," he stuttered, "I-um-I didnt want us getting caught."

He looked down at her, waiting for a response, for her to huff, or complain, or even jinx him. The longer he waited for her to say something the more nervous he got; which of course she knew, so keeping him waiting just a little longer brought another smirk to her lips.

"Well," she started, lifting her head a little higher to level her eyes with his, "I guess we wouldn't want that, would we?" Resting one hand on the door handle, (Y/N) readied herself to jump out, however, her Slytherin side wanted to tease the flustered boy some more. She placed her other hand over his bicep, noticing how he tensed at her touch. "What was you gonna say earlier, before we were interrupted?"

Fred gulped, racking his brain to think of what she was talking about - when was he gonna say something? What was he saying?

He raised his eyebrows when he recalled, opening and closing his mouth a few times, trying to get the words to come out and ignore her distracting squeeze on his arm. "Well-I was-uh- I was just gonna- um-I-I think we have divination together, r-right?" He stammered as his mouth dried out. His face grew hot with embarrassment; Fred Weasley doesn't stutter - hes Fred bloody Weasley! What was this girl doing to him?

She let a soft giggle escape her, looking at him warmly. "Yeah, I'm pretty sure we do, Fred." Merlin, did his name sound heavenly when she said it. (Y/N) brushed her fingertips down his arm, lifting her face closer to his; and he was so goddamn tempted to bring their lips just a little closer right now. But of course, she was just teasing him into oblivion. His breath hitched as their noses touched, they were so close but not close enough.

"I'll see you around, Fred Weasley." Before he even knew it she was out of the door and closing it behind her. Fred stood there, unmoving as he processed what had just happened. He quickly opened the door - hoping to catch a glimpse of the girl he'd just met, but frowned when she was nowhere in sight. A smile tugged at his lips; that girl was going to be the death of him.