Chapter 1

My friends - Tyler and Oliver - my old friend, Sadie and I were making our way to class. It was just the three of us, as usual.

" I just read something weird in a book, " said Sadie, who's a bookworm and knows stuff from different random topics.

" Oh, you REALLY love your books, don't you? " said Oliver, the sassy one in the group.

" What is it? " I encouraged my long- time friend.

" It's an urban legend! " said Sadie enthusiastically. " It's about a woman who hated humankind and whose daughter was cruelly taken away from her-"

" -so interesting! " Tyler said sarcastically.

" - the woman was so overwhelmed with sorrow that she commited suicide. " continued Sadie as if Tyler had never interrupted her. " She came back to the Earth a few years later as a ghost, haunting several places and killing people. " The three of us guys were speechless for a moment.

" What the heck? " Oliver remarked. Tyler shook his head.

" Why did she even hate humans? " I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

" Don't know, " Sadie said softly. " Maybe she thought we are cruel people? And the fact that her daughter was cruelly taken away from her made her vengeful? "

" Yo, isn't that Callista? " Tyler remarked. He was pointing at a girl not so far away. We all stared at her for a moment. However, I stared longer.

Believe me when I say this: Callista was beautiful. She looked exactly like an angel; perfect, milk skin, long, brown hair, large, black, almond- shaped eyes... They all looked angelic to me.

I always felt a weird feeling whenever I saw her. Was it... Love? No. I couldn't like someone because of their looks. However, I always had that weird sensation in my stomach. I couldn't figure it out...

" Jaxon? Dude? " Tyler's deep voice made me break my gaze from Callista.

" Dude, are you attracted to her or something? " asked Oliver, smirking.

" What? No... " I replied. I felt myself  blushing hard. The rest of them looked at me, Sadie looking suspicious while Tyler and Oliver smirking. As Oliver and Tyler went for their English class and Sadie went for Science, I went to my Maths class.

                     ...............................

I went inside my class to see familiar faces, either tossing paper balls around or meddling with their phones. Among them sat Callista, who was talking to her friends. There was an empty seat beside her. That was where I sat.

As I made my way towards it, Callista saw me and smiled her warm smile. I smiled back nervously yet excitedly - she rarely smiled at me, and she only did it today. I put my stuff down and comfortably sunk into my seat. I stared at Callista, admiring her beauty, before remembering that I shouldn't like a girl for their looks and looking away.

A few minutes later, our Maths teacher, Mrs Brown, an elderly woman with a afro hairstyle came into our classroom. She started her lesson as soon as we greeted her.

Midway through the lesson, Callista was called to write the answer to a maths question on the blackboard. She confidently walked to the front of the classroom, attracting guys as she passed by. She wrote down the answer with ease, and after she was done, she looked in front with confidence.

I could not help but look at her necklace - it was not the kind of necklace you would want to give to your girlfriend for her birthday. Callista's necklace looked mystical, dark even. It was in the shape of a black snake, which looked like it was going to bite you at any moment. I had never seen such an unusual looking necklace before. Callista wore it everyday, and people admired her because of it.

But, here was what bothered me - I overheard her telling her friends that she loathed dark themed stuff, including stuff that were black in colour. If so, then, why would she want to wear a BLACK necklace? It just...didn't make sense...

All of a sudden, I heard a loud thud.

To be continued...