Chapter 5

School was over within a few hours. I strolled home using the long-winded route. As I walked home, I started to think about Matilda Blake. Why would she want to go to Callista's house every day? Was there something Blake wanted to know from her? I was so confused.

I needed to ask Sadie.

I opened the unlocked wooden door  of my house. Exhausted, I slumped into the couch, trying to sleep. Then I remembered - Blake.

I took out my phone from my pocket and went to WhatsApp. There, before I could tell Sadie anything, I already saw a message on the chat. It was by Sadie, and she wrote, I figured out something 😊.

Ecstatic, I sat upright on my couch. What could it possibly be?

WHAT IS IT?!, I sent her, unable to control my emotions.

Whoa, dude, calm down!!!, Sadie replied. Maybe it's best that I tell u in our group chat? Then Oliver and Tyler can read it too?

K, I simply replied and went to our group chat. Once there, Sadie started to explain.

I couldn't find anything from the stupid book, she explained. So I went to the internet to search about the red bell. Turns out it's something that Blake uses!

What?!

What does she use it for?, I asked.

Erm..., Sadie wrote. It is for attracting people towards her. She only kills people at night, see.

Oh...

" Jaxon Deverack! " My mom's fruity voice could be heard from upstairs. I looked up and saw a mean-looking woman with a fierce face. She was my mom. Miranda Deverack.

" Why didn't you let anyone know you were here? " She hollered. " And why are you on your phone? " She said that even louder than the first sentence, and the way she yelled that sentence was incredibly loud.

" No, mom, it's just- " my lion-of-a-mother cut me off mid-sentence.

" -just go take a shower, young man! " said my mom, pointing upstairs where my bathroom was located.

I went upstairs using the wooden stairs. There, I opened the door to our bathroom. It wasn't really quite rare, to be honest. In fact, it is anything but rare. Just look inside your bathroom, and you will get an idea of how it looks like.

Anyway, I went inside the bathroom, trying to keep my mind out of the investigation. But I couldn't.

All because of the voice that came afterwards.

" Where is she?! " A very womanly but creepy voice boomed. It bounced off the walls, and no matter how hard I tried to ignore it, it still managed to get into my ears.

Was the woman talking to me?

" W-who? " I stuttered, being the scaredy-cat that I am.

" YOU JOLLY WELL KNOW WHAT I MEAN! " The voice boomed again, louder this time. " Where is my daughter?! "

" I don't know who is your daughter, " I said.

Big mistake.

Because all of a sudden, an elderly woman appeared out of thin air in front of me.

" Argh! " I screamed. The woman looked terrifying. Besides the dark circles that she had, her appearance seemed familiar.

All of a sudden, I knew who she was.

Matilda Blake.

" What do you want from - " Blake cut me off, because she seemed to whizz past me. In fact, she seemed to go inside me.

All of a sudden, a searing pain crossed over my head. If the pain were a colour, it would be a hot, raging, fiery red.

Then all of a sudden, I saw flashes of images entering my mind like a film.
They included a picture of a smiling little girl under someone's arms, then it changed to the same girl being taken away into a van of two people. The men beat the girl up as she was dumped into the van. The image changed to a hand holding onto a red knife .

Blake's knife!

The knife then stabbed the woman's - most likely Blake's - chest, almost the heart. It was immediately turned to blackness.

Then it changed. It was another person's house, whoever the person was. Inside, through my perspective, I looked into the mirror and saw the horrifying image of Matilda Blake. She was hovering, and ringing the red bell. She continued to ring it.

Then footsteps could be heard. A beautiful girl came out of a room, a perplexed look on her face.

She was Callista.

" Who are you? " She asked suspiciously.

" Where is she?! " Blake's voice escaped loudly from my lips. Then several scenes flashed by like a time-lapse. I could make out Sadie, Oliver and Tyler in them, my teachers in a few and Callista in some.

However, the most involved Callista.

They all seemed to show her every move.

And then I came back to reality. I looked around, trying to find Blake, but she was no where to be seen. She was gone.

The bathroom door opened, and Jaydon was standing outside.

" Yo, big bro, " he said. He was 13, three years younger than me, just like Dylan. " Mom's waiting for you, " He then closed the door.

Sighing, I took off my clothes and went inside the shower to take a shower.