ONE ante meridiem

Sure enough, a limo waited for me outside. I opened the door to discover a boy in his late teens. He wore a black shirt, dark jeans, and a questioning expression.

"What is your name?" His voice was smooth, each word formed perfectly by his perfect lips.

"Colette. Who are you?" For a second he looked hurt as if I should recognize him or something.

"Grayson. Gray for short."

"Well, 'Gray', do you have any idea what's going on?" He frowned and shook his head, causing several stray hairs to fall across his face.

"I have no idea. About a half-hour ago I was woken up by a bunch of bizarre texts from a random number. They told me to go outside where I was picked up by this limo. And then there's my parents..." He trailed off. I nodded to let him know that we were both in the same situation.

The car ride lasted another forty minutes or so, but most were spent in silence. The only noise was that of our worrying minds.

My brain was buzzing with thoughts of how we had no idea where our family was, or if they were safe... Or alive. A lone tear slid down my cheek. In my peripheral vision, I noticed Grayson studying me with concern. I quickly wiped my face and turned away from him.

A hand touched my shoulder. "They're going to be fine."

I turned to face him. For a brief second, I could see a reflection of myself in his eyes. All the fear I felt, I knew he felt too. The helplessness. The anger. The determination to get our families back. It was like looking in a mirror.

"I know they will be fine, because we are getting them back. No matter what."