Chapter Six: I'd Be The Guy From Twilight But The Store Ran Out Of Body Glitter

I swat Cole’s hands off of me for the fifteenth time in five minutes. It’s not the easiest task because he’s so determined but I’ve been getting way too many longing stares projected in our direction for me to be comfortable with it.

An exhibitionist I am certainly not. Just the thought of some girl looking at us, imaging herself in my place and picturing my boyfriend naked makes my skin crawl so I try my best to not give them visual representations to shape their fantasies after. 

But the stubborn hunk of a man attached to my side isn’t making it easy for me, his hands keep wandering, his lips often finding their way to mine and his arms wrapped around me. It’s also convenient because he glares at anyone within a five feet distance, so that we’re left relatively alone. That doesn't however mean that I don’t feel the laser beam like wistfulness of all the women and some of the men here burning into the side of my head. 

“You put that dress on knowing what it would entail Tessie, don’t play with me.”

Good point.

I’d known dressing up as the fantasy of most prepubescent boy aka Jessica Rabbit would get me in a bit of trouble with Cole. I’m testing him and I did it on purpose so if it means dealing with his grabby hands then so be it.

It’s not like it’s much of a sacrifice right? 

The sorority house is decked up to the extremes for Halloween and in typical college party fashion, it’s not really about who dressed up the scariest. It’s just a bunch of stressed students blowing some steam off before going back to the books. Drinks are flowing freely, the music is loud and buzzing, everyone’s dancing and the one’s who aren't are catching up on with their significant or not so significant others. 

Cole said hi to the bare minimum of people I knew and I had to drag him to the girls, Cami’s friends who invited us since they looked like were ready to start slobbering once they saw him. Even though they haven’t exactly been the nicest to my new friend, the manners my mother forced into me at a very young age made me subject Cole to the mind numbing torture of the two girls fawning all over him.

Now they’ve finally let him go and we’re getting a feel of the place. Of course Cole insists on going back to his apartment but hey, as delicious as he looks I’ve put some serious time and effort into this look and if he has to put a lid on what he needs then so be it. 

“I thought you didn’t like parties.” He grumbles beside me, he’s been nursing the same bottle of beer for the past half hour and it seems like he isn’t in the mood to get more than a little buzzed. I on the other hand could use some liquid courage tonight. We’re getting stared at and we’re definitely getting stared at a lot. But what’s surprising is that I’m not getting vicious glares sent my way, well not mostly. What’s got Cole in a cranky mood is the fact that it’s the guys who can’t seem to stop looking in our direction.

It’s flattering of course but it’s also making me feel highly uncomfortable, like they’re all picturing me naked and this dress definitely doesn’t leave much to the imagination. That explained why Cole had been so insistent to drag me to a corner and cover my body with his, shielding me from those hungry eyes. But then we were back to square one, I was being insecure and scared and he had to spent his time playing hero, always rescuing her. 

“I don’t like them,” I confirm, “But this is a halloween party, we’re all in costume. If someone doesn’t like me then at least I can blame Jessica for it.” I gesture towards my dress and the wig.