Part 9: Of Squirrels and Men

The bow practically danced in Noelle's hand. She was playing the piece for the first time and as an original composition there was no way it could have been familiar to her, yet she felt the music deep in her soul. Swaying with the magical tune, she kept an eye on the sheet music, but her fingers seemed to play on their own accord. The notes floated off the strings, electrifying the air in the imposing concert hall.

And what a venue it was! A perfect mix of classical and modern, it was a type of place where Noelle had never performed before and she doubted she'd ever have the chance to do so again. Circular in design, it placed the stage in the middle of the building, more akin to a sporting venue rather than an opera house or philharmonic. But there was no mistaking the design's acoustic perfection with that of Madison Square Garden. She was sure that the audience sitting in the upper balcony could hear the same impeccable sound quality as those in the mezzanine and orchestra stalls.

How the physics behind the exceptional sound performance worked, she wasn't so confident about. Because unlike every other grand venue she'd played, the ceiling of the Keskitalvi concert hall wasn't domed. Or at least it didn't look to be. Instead, it was as though there were no ceiling at all, and the space where seating ended and the ceiling should have began just went on forever, revealing the clear sky. It was a clever architectural trick, no doubt involving glass and very delicate metal brackets.

When Nick had brought her here after her hearty breakfast, Noelle was mesmerized, but he'd just laughed when she asked if there was even a roof or if she'd need a jacket to perform. Now, however, it was he who appeared enthralled as he watched her from nearby.

She still hadn't met any of the other musicians who were scheduled to play on Christmas Eve, but at least she'd gotten copies of the music for the pieces they'd be performing. She'd also received permission—from the owner himself, who'd this time left his sleigh at home in exchange for a snowmobile—to practice for as long as she wished. Noelle planned to play for a few hours, then take a break for lunch. Something about the cold was making her extra ravenous.

When the smell of pizza hit her nose, she thought she was hallucinating. Lowering her bow, she turned around until she saw a man in head-to-toe winter gear delivering a large, white cardboard box with the logo of 'NYC's Perfect Slice.' It was her favorite pizzeria in Brooklyn.

"No way," Noelle said, hopping off the stage and walking to Nick who was taking delivery. "Don't tell me there's a Perfect Slice franchise here."

He smiled broadly, his eyes lighting up along with his lips. "Okay, I won't tell you. Hungry?"

"Famished," she laughed, placing her violin in its case and reaching for the box lid. Popping it open, she removed a large slice of pepperoni pizza. "Oh, it smells so good."

Sitting on the carpeted floor, the two of them quickly polished off the whole pie.

"How did you know I wanted pizza? Did you have someone eavesdropping on me and Avery at dinner last night?" Noelle asked, wiping her greasy fingers. The coincidence was just too great. And as he'd said, it was a small town.

Nick dabbed his lips with a napkin. "I can see how you would think that, but I promise that I absolutely didn't. Let's call it an educated guess."

She only met him the day before, but Noelle already felt there wasn't a lying bone in Nick's body and so, she believed him. "It's that New Yorker reputation, right?" she teased, pushing herself to a standing position. Still, it rubbed her the wrong way that he presumed she'd enjoy pizza just by the city she currently called home. "Don't you know not to make assumptions based on incomplete information?"