Part 18: Better Late than Never

"Is this your house?" Noelle asked as she kicked off her slush covered boots in the entry and walked into the ski lodge on holiday-themed steroids. Of Disneyland proportions. In the middle of full-on Christmas festivities.

Nick chuckled while shaking off his coat and leaving it on a wall hook. "Technically, as a true Millennial I still live with my parents, but this is the Klaas family home, that's right."

Rough-hewn board walls, exposed stone fireplaces, and unpretentious furniture in earth tones casually nestled under copious fir and holly garlands, sparkling fairy lights, and softball-sized glass ornaments. Holiday music played softly in the background, while the smell of freshly baked cookies permeated the air. 

Leading them through a grand atrium with a six-reindeer carousel and under a winding staircase, Nick entered a family room big enough to hold a basketball court. Around the perimeter, tables loaded with food stood, while the middle was filled with plush seating enough for at least one hundred. On the far side, a stage with a red, velvet curtain was set up. And in the corner, a tuxedo wearing man sat at a baby grand piano. It wasn't a recording they've been listening to, but rather him playing live.

"Whoa," Noelle exhaled the exclamation. She didn't expect a small shack, but apparently being Santa Claus was quite a lucrative endeavor.

"Is that Michael Bublé?" Avery asked as she walked in behind them, but a large ball of grey fur jumped into her arms from the open landing above. "Holy crap!" she exclaimed in shock.

"Cat Damon?!" Noelle was just as surprised. But then guilt took over because she hadn't even noticed the animal missing from their hotel room. Or had he been there and she'd just not paid attention? "See? This is why I don't have any pets. What is he doing here, anyway?"

Nick took the cat out of Avery's hold since she was still staring at him with wide-eyed indecision about how to proceed. "He must have slipped out when someone opened your room door. All I know is he was standing at my front door when Otso got back from delivering your map."

Noelle was just about to ask about returning him to the right place, but Nick continued.

"But as long as you're all here, I don't see why you can't stay," he said, petting the cat who now appeared quite content in his arms. "We have plenty of space, and you can have your own rooms for your last few nights here."

Avery yawned. "That doesn't sound like a bad idea. Not that I have anything against the Aurora, but maybe a change will let me get some rest."

Nick appeared confused. "Why's that?"

Noelle waved her off. It was one thing for her to be getting so close to Nick in such a short time, but spending the night at his house hadn't been in her plans. "Oh, she just had some bad dreams last night so she didn't sleep well. I'm sure tonight will be much better."

"If you're tired now, you can still take a power nap in one of the guest rooms," Nick said, looking at Avery. "Your call."

Avery looked at Noelle for silent advice. She did look pretty haggard with circles under her eyes that weren't there yesterday. What harm would come from a quick lie-down especially while she would be awake and alert downstairs?

"Maybe Nick's right," Noelle finally admitted. "That second cup of glögg isn't doing you any favors right now, either. Go on. Get some rest."

Avery smiled at the encouragement.

"Second door on the left at the top of the stairs," Nick said, pointing her in the correct direction.