Chapter 1

All he could remember was floating, and the strange, unexplainable feeling of cold nothingness. He knew he was supposed to feel something else.
He remembered searching, calling for something, for someone, but it didn't matter how much he tried, he just couldn't recall much of who or what.

For that matter, he also didn't remember who he was, or where was this place. Did he have a life out there? Was he supposed to move on? Or should he stay and try to find his way back?

Was he even allowed to go back?

Did he want to?

In the end, he didn't have much choice in that matter.

Because apparently, he wasn't floating anymore.

He was sitting in a dark, empty room, surrounded by the same nothingness he could recall from the void he was in before. But this thing was not comforting, like it should have been, no, it was suffocating.

He couldn't see, nor could he hear anything besides the buzzing sound that slowly filled his ears, growing louder moment by moment, making him want to scratch his eardrums out with his own fingernails.

And all of a sudden the sound stopped, as pale white light filled his eyesight.

He was back.

But he was hurting, everything was hurting, and he couldn't hold his consciousness for long.

So for the second time that day, Izuku Midoriya welcomed the darkness, and fell inside it's numb, calming embrace.

But this time, it was from exhaustion.

After all, he just used his quirk for the first time, forcefully manifesting it by dying in that fire.

(Not that he knew about that.)

xXx

Next time he opened his eyes, it was already after dawn.

The blindig light that fell through the destroyed curtains made him close his eyes for a moment. It was overwhelming.

He took a deep breath, and tried to stand up. It took a few moments, but he managed to stand on his feet without falling back down.

Physically, he was alright.

But inside, he was broken, confused and hurting. He remembered the feeling of the fire tearing into his skin, his flesh and his bones, he remembered the pain, so much pain he thought he was going to explode. He remembered trying to get up, to get out, to help is mother.

Oh gods, his mother.

His wonderful, sweet mother who he couldn't even save. He failed her. He let her burn to death.

He should have come home. He shouldn't have gone to watch that fight. If he was at home, maybe, maybe he could have saved her.

If he wasn't as much of a fanboy as he was, if he payed more attention his mother would be still here, with him, comforting him and smiling at him like nothing was wrong in the world.

And the heroes! How could they call themselves heroes, if they don't do everything in their might to save people?

They didn't even try!

They were just standing there, doing nothing, saying they didn't have the right quirk.

Izuku didn't even have a quirk, and yet, he'd do anything humanly possible, going as far as endangering his own life just to save someone in need!

They weren't heroes. They weren't worthy of that title.

And so Izuku cried.

He cried for his lost mother, his home, his life. He cried because even after all of this, he still couldn't lose faith in heroism. He couldn't hate them all.

He just couldn't.

(But that didn't mean he wouldn't try to change things)

xXx

He had to move on. He knew he couldn't stay there, in the half-destroyed building, where his mother died.
It was too dangerous and traumatizing. It has brought back too many memories.

So he made a little shrine for his mother, prayed and vowed to himself to visit often, and to bring a few flowers to her next time, packed a few things (the only things) that were left of his life, and left the house.

He couldn't think of anyone he could go to. After all, everyone thought he was dead (Just like his mother), and he also couldn't tell why he wasn't (maybe a quirk, but he shouldn't think too much about it. After all, he had more time than enough), so he didn't have many options other than the streets.

xXx

It wasn't long after he moved out from his old house (he couldn't think of it as home anymore, not without being hurt) when he first met the other boy. Tenko was a few years older than him, and from the way he looked and behaved, he was in the streets much longer than Izuku himself.

(It was really sad, for a child to live without a home. But it couldn't be helped. Tenko said this was the better option for him. )

Izuku was looking for a shelter for the night, when he came across the other boy. He was laying in the dirt, with one arm curled around his stomach, and the other holding a dirty, white gloved detached hand.

Which was an unsettling picture, really, but all Izuku could see was an other kid, clearly being in pain and in the need of medical attention.
So being the heroic, naive idiot he was, he could only walk closer to the possibility dangerous older kid, slowly getting near him.

"H-hey. Are you alri-" -the boy looked at him with such an intensive gaze, that Izuku almost changed his mind. He was scary, but he couldn't really fault him. Living in the streets does that to people. Especially to kids.

"I-I just want to help." -the boy didn't move, nor did he say a word. He just stared at him, studying his face like he was searching for something. Something, that he a few minutes later seemed to find. The taller child just nodded towards him, certainly having some difficulty with moving.

"Ahh. Hold on. I have a few...." -Izuku searched his bag after the little medical kit, that he managed to steal a few hours earlier that day.

And let's make something clear. It was absolutely  not okay to steal from someone, but when you live in the streets, you have to abandon your morals for your survival.

"Got them! Ahh. It might hurt a little, but I have to move you. Can you hold on-"

He didn't even get to finish his sentence, when the other boy moved.

"That works too I guess..."

After that, Izuku worked in silence, treating the others wounds the best he could. It took some time, but after he finished, they managed to get inside the building, getting to a much safer and cleaner room.

At first they didn't talk too much, but after some time, the older boy started to be more at ease around Izuku, who continued treating the other until he got better.

He would even bring Tenko back some food, which was nice.

(Tenko couldn't think anyone ever did anything nice to him. So it was a new thing. A new, but much appreciated thing. )

And in the blink of the eye, a week went by with the two boys spending their time together.

It was easy, getting used to another person being with you. Both boys found themselves enjoying the others company, more than they would have liked to admit.

So when the time had come, and Tenko could finally leave, neither of them really wanted to part their ways anymore.

But for the surprise of Izuku, it was Tenko who suggested that they should stick together. Izuku would have bring it up later, and he was really nervous of the other's reaction, so when the older boy asked the question, he actually started to cry from happyness.

(Tenko was afraid he said something wrong when Izuku's eyes started to leak. He didn't want to lose the only person that didn't seemed to hate him.
Even though he was yet to show the other his damned quirk, that caused everyone to leave him, for the time being, he would enjoy the company. )

After all, life in the streets was more enjoyable when you weren't all alone.