Chapter Twelve: Esmeralda

The fight didn't even happen.

Well, it did—But the bear tired out easily from Falcon's dance of dodge. I don't think Falcon would have fought the bear anyway. If he sustains injuries, I do too. He has to take that into consideration. At least, I hope he does. He seemed very concerned about me bonding with a shifter. His reasons being that bonding with a human is very risky. Most shifters, I assume, can take care of themselves. But a human? Even I doubt my own abilities to stay alive. I've faced so much death. Humans are fragile compared to these creatures. I just hope he remembers that while we try to find Blanche.

I didn't expect to find Falcon wasn't a gentleman, but he assures me that he has changed. The bond has me going with the flow, and I can't ignore it. I believe him. He's been kind to me so far, aside from drugging me.

I feel the bond flicker between us, fighting against any negative thoughts intended for him. It's like having my own brain censored, so that I cannot speak words against the balance of the bond.

"You're looking for another human?" Conrad asks. He has soft, honey coloured hair and dark brown eyes. He has a slight mustache, and he rubs it deep in thought.

"Yes."

"You've bonded to this one here? Why?"

"Caius said..." Falcon starts but stops when Conrad roars.

"Do not mention his name. We do not speak of those people here."

"She needed protection. I decided to offer it."

Conrad nods, standing up from the front porch of his house. "Let's go check Esmeralda's. She might have hidden the child from me."

We travel throughout the village and towards an alleyway filled with red lights and women and men conversing with each other. A little too close and personal. A woman leans forward and shows a man the mounds of her breasts. He licks his lips and nods, taking her extended hand. She pulls him into a doorway, the light shining from inside. When the door closes, the light in the window diminishes, turning off and hiding the secrets within.

I give a disgusted look, and then notice many others in the alley doing the same as the couple previously. I can only guess what this place is.

"Falcon, care to enjoy what's to offer? I'll watch over the human for you and speak with the mistress. I'll protect her until you return tomorrow morning."

The loudest growl I've heard yet from Falcon releases from his chest. If looks could kill, Conrad would be dead. The expressions on our faces must have brought reason into that thick skull of his, for he quickly swallowed down the unexpected rage. It was so strong, I felt my skin tingle and a quaking heat flow deep within my muscles. It was as if someone had thrown a bucket of hot, melted wax over my head. I was coated in an overwhelming sense of warmth, but it wasn't pleasurable. No, it felt like I'd been stung by multiple wasps, a feverish swell of hives erupting over my skin. I look down at my arms and find nothing out of the ordinary. But all I felt was a distinguished sense of anger, which slowly cooled down to a rich numbness.

Was this his anger I was feeling?

The look on his face said he was calm and collected, but I know better. His anger is beneath the surface of that cool reserve. It's like a fire he cannot successfully put out.

Why did he take such offense?

"I was only offering," Conrad puts his hands up to show he is no threat.

"Don't," Falcon grabs my hand and brings me into the main building in front of us. Conrad follows silently but increases the distance between us, staying as far as possible from Falcon. The man did attack Falcon earlier, but I believe he had no intention of harming him. He was just angry and wanting to express his feelings openly. But with Falcon like this, there would be bloodshed. That anger of his could even be felt by me, and I shouldn't feel his emotions so strongly. He can feel mine quite easily, but because I am human it's different for me.