The sun

Arianne was watching over Garlan when Tyene arrived. She closed the the tent behind her and sat in front of her.

“I asked around and you were right: Garlan was not supposed to meet with the Mountain. It was a last minute change.”

“What happened?”

“Garlan’s spot was switched by mistake with another knight or so the herault said.”

Arianne looked at Garlan, sleeping peacefully. Pyrcell had given him some milk of the poppy to help with the pain. She found his slack face disturbing, he was sleeping but not dreaming. His mind was not there.

“I don’t believe that. It was not a accident and I’m sure Cersei has something to do with it.”

Her cousin’s eyes were pensive, “It’s a bold move, even for her. Why would she do that? It’s a dangerous game, if Garlan had died she would have made Highgarden her enemy, and for what gain exactly?”

Arianne stroked Garlan’s hand in her lap. It was bigger than her, with hard callus from years of training on the yard.

“To punish us. Garlan bested her brother several times and she took it for an insult.” She remembered the emerald eyes shining with anger when they met hers across the courtyard.

“She tried to murder Garlan for a petty revenge? I expected better from Tywin Lannister’s daughter,” Tyene said incredulous.

“Send a message to Highgarden to tell them that Garlan survived his joust against the Mountain.”

“So they will rush to King’s Landing to see by themselves,” Tyene smilled. “The Queen of Thorns will do our jobs for us.”

“Exactly.” Let Robert and Jon Arryn deal the mess Cersei Lannister created. Let some seeds of discord grow. Garlan said Loras was talking about bringing their sister Margaery to court, maybe to find a husband. The Crown Prince was not betrothed for the moment. If Jon Arryn wished to apologize, the Tyrell could use it to their advantage. It might get her in Olenna Tyrell’s good graces.

“What about Clegane?” asked Arianne.

“Very sick, you can hear his screams a mile away. The maesters say an infection set in his eyes because of the shards from Garlan’s lance.”

“Good.” Tyene’s proficiency in the art of poison was always useful. She added,” Can you keep your ears open for any kind of rumours concerning Cersei?”

“I will.” Before she left, she said, “Do you know people are calling Garlan the Mountainslayer?”

“The Kingslayer will be jealous.” 

Tyene chuckled as she stepped outside.

Garlan moaned and she turned her attention back to him. The Archmaester had declared that the next days would determinate if his broken ribs had affected his lungs. If not, he would heal with time. She prayed it would be the case. He couldn’t leave her alone with their son. She had invested too much in their marriage.

She kissed his hand and settled in her chair to listen to him breathing. He would not die.