Chapter 3

I carried two glasses of water carefully up the stairs and headed towards my room. My hands were full so I nudged my way into the room using my elbow. I should have knocked. There was Reagan, her back turned towards me, only in her underwear. Crap, Amy! She turned round to look at me and I let out an uncomfortable giggle and backed out of the room. My hands were shaking. The water fell onto my bare feet.

'Sorry' I waited for a moment with my ear pressed to the door. I couldn't hear a thing. No movement. 'Hey, are you decent?' No reply. I waited. And waited. And waited some more. A solid five minutes passed before I decided to try again. Come on Amy, it cant be as awkward as last time. Slowly, I pushed the door. 'Reagan?' I whispered.

She had cocooned herself within my covers. At first glance, it was hard to spot her, but as i crouched by the side of the bed, I managed to find an opening. Pulling apart the covers, I noticed how red her eyes were. She was crying.

I know I am not the best in these situations. Never have been. Never will be. But, this confident, witty girl had just fell apart in my company, and I knew I couldn't leave her like this. I could have quite easily grabbed a blanket and taken to the other side of the bed, and believe me, I was so close to doing just that, but she was a wreck. She was the beautiful titanic, strong and proud, unbreakable. Yet here she was, dealing with her iceberg, sinking further, and deeper with every breath.

'Reagan, I don't know whether you are listening to me right now.' I placed a hand on her cheekbone. 'But I am here.' She opened her eyes and sniffled a little. A response. 'Now, I don't know what is wrong... Or what has happened. And it may be none of my business' Hell, what was I saying, of course it is my business. She comes on a spontaneous visit to my house, then crumbles in my arms at three in the morning. It is my business. 'You seem so strong. Funny . And confident.. so confident. You have pretty eyes and a big smile, and look happy and adventurous. Now, I know I don't know you all that well, but I know that whatever has happened must be serious to be able to break a personality like yours. Look at me.' Forcefully, I lift her head with both of my hands. I stare into her piercing brown eyes.

She got to her feet uneasily and walked to the bathroom. I watched as she winced. Her bun had fallen and now lay in a knot at the base of her neck. Crossing my legs, I pulled the scrunched cover over me in attempt to become warm.