iv. hidden feelings

┏━━━━━⋆☆⋆━━━━━┓CHAPTER FOUR

┏━━━━━⋆☆⋆━━━━━┓
CHAPTER FOUR.
HIDDEN FEELINGS
┗━━━━━⋆☆⋆━━━━━┛

IF THERE WAS ONE THING THAT GOT EVANGELINE'S BLOOD RUSHING, it was pulling up to an unsub's suspected location in a black suburban SUV. She, as well as Morgan and Elle, hopped out of the car and drew their guns. The S.W.A.T. team was the first to rush through the sketchy ally and up to the back entrance of the apartment's building, their heavy combat boots stomping through the puddles as they did so.

Evangeline held her breath as she quickly followed behind Morgan—Hotch and Gideon being a bit delayed behind her. They all hurried up the flights of stairs and up to the floor where Frank Giles was supposed to be. She took quick and calculated steps and held her gun steady, mentally preparing for anything to happen as she stopped behind Morgan. He looked towards the door before sharing a glance with a member of the S.W.A.T. team.

Keeping an alert mindset, he forcefully kicked the front door open, and they all quickly piled into the apartment like a swarm. "Clear!" Morgan informed the others.

"Door!" Elle yelled, quickly moving towards one side of the double wooden doors.

Morgan quickly stood on the opposite side of her, resting his shoulder against the wall as he called out, "Frank Giles! FBI!"

"Come out, Giles!" Elle added. When nothing but silence occurred, she shared a look with Morgan before they both opened the doors. Evangeline followed them into the room, her eyes landing on the disturbing scene lying in front of her. "You gotta be kidding me," Elle mumbled. The Frank Giles they were looking for was currently dead on the small twin bed in the middle of the room.

Just death alone was disturbing by itself—but what made this even more disturbing was the sword plunged into his gut. Evangeline's breath hitched, and suddenly, she felt sick. Her gaze trailed upwards towards the wall, noticing that something was written on the wall in blood. 'here thy quest doth truly begin.' As her eyes trailed across the words to try and make sense of it, she slowly slid her gun back into it's holster.

"Hotch, Gideon," Morgan called, grabbing the other agent's attention, "I think you're gonna want to see this." They both entered the room, Hotch coming to a stop just beside Evangeline. The two looked just as taken aback as the rest of them. What in the hell was going on here?

▬▬▬

"HE'S DEFINITELY PLAYING WITH US," Hotch's calming voice filled the room, naturally sending a shiver down Evangeline's spine.

"His identification checks out," Elle said whilst handing Giles's wallet over to Hotch, "That's Frank Giles."

Morgan rummaged through a duffel bag that sat upon the dresser, "There's a big old bag of money sitting right here on the dresser." Evangeline finished putting some rubber gloves on as to not contaminate the crime scene, bending down to the ground as she observed Giles's body.