Chapter 17: The Attention

Chapter 17:

The Attention

W I N T E R

Why does pain exist? Why do I need to feel it? Why should I suffer from it? Why the world chooses to destroy me? What did I do wrong?

Is this the kind of fate, I should be living? Is this really my life now? Why God allows pain anyway?

Why?

Why do I need to be shattered and be falling apart? What kind of game does God want me to play? 'Cause it's really painful. After what happened, it felt surreal. It still feels surreal.

The feeling of this kind of pain is really unforgettable. Most especially if you were happy before it all happened.

"Alam mo naman siguro kung bakit ka naririto, Ms. McCarthy?" His gray eyes rested on mine as he began with a mild rapport.

I lowered my eyes and tightly clenched my hands while they're both intertwined with each other, while I placed it on top of the rectangular gray metal desk.

I nodded in disbelief and uncertainty. Then, tried all my effort not to gulp or even flinch.

I just wanted to get everything straightforward, the reason I agreed on his question even though I don't know what am I really doing here.

"Before we start. Why don't we begin with the basics?" His voice is trying to connect with me. However, even I tried my best to get a single word from the back of my mind, none of it came out.

I rubbed my hands when a chilly air from the AC touches my body. I wanted to stop myself from getting my eyes travelled in every corner of this room, but I couldn't stop myself from doing it.

The room is a stark place with a complete white concrete floor, gray walls and metal table. My body squirmed for a little bit when my eyes landed on a one-way mirror which is an ideal addition to the room. However, it only increases my anxiety and pain and suffering.

Tears began to travel on the side of my rosy cheeks. I immediately wiped it using the back of my hand.

Seeing my own reflection on that Observation mirror gives me a million reasons to hate myself. Questions began to draw in my mind as memories set in motion. It's like a flick downtown wherein they only show to you, your past and the genre of it is horror. It's terrible. Horrific. Hurtful.

I breathed and blankly looked back at him.

"I am going to introduce myself to you, then, you will introduce yourself to me. Are you okay with that?" His face wrinkled when his friendly smile painted out of it.

I think he's around 40 years of age. He looked a few steps below dapper in his purple blazer, shirt and tie, and gray trousers. His burgeoning belly hid in that purple blazer though. It is a tailored suit which shows off his physique and instantly identify it.

"My name is Detective Ricky Brown, I am one of the Private Governmental Investigation Protocol Team under The Police Department of South Shalifornia Aisle..." He continues on introducing his self to me but I did not understand any single word he said.

The background just fell into silence when I asked myself: How did I end up here?