Play ball

"Come on, come back to my place, we can hang there tonight." Phillips grinned at you tugging your wrist in the direction he wanted to go. You had been sitting in the dugout for the past hour watching Phillips and his team practice baseball. Not that you had an objection to it, you loved the sport and you and Phillips had been dating for two months, so you were happy to cheer him on, but honestly, you'd rather watch your brothers friends play ball at the Sandlot. Yeah Yeah, Benny, Squints, Ham, and the rest of the guys were a hell of a lot more fun to be around not to mention the fact they actually let you play the game.

"Not tonight Phillips, I'm just gonna head home." You told him, trying to pull your wrist away, but he held on tight.

"Come on, my parents won't be there, it will be fun." He laughed.

"I said no, I'm going home." You gave your wrist a great tug and finally broke free of his grasp. You began walking over to your bike quickly, your head held low, embarrassed that all of his jerk friends were watching you.

"Well-well if your not ever gonna do anything with me, don't expect this to last." He yelled after you. You heard the sound of high fives around from his teammates and the sound of bikes being picked up as they all left. Then you were alone, on the much to polished ballparks empty field. You preferred the Sandlots beat up persona, it felt like home. You slowly lifted your bike from the dirt and climbed on. It was dusk already but you knew Benny and the guys would still be playing baseball, they played all day everyday, so, you made your way to the Sandlot. It took you a while to get there, but it gave you time to think, about dating Phillips, about hanging out in their part of town. Nobody understood why you were with him, Yeah Yeah constantly pestered you about it saying you were to good for him, but that was just him being too protective of a brother.

The truth was Phillips, when not surrounded by his idiot friends, was actually a pretty good guy, but when he was with them, well, there was no denying it, he was a total jerk.

You sighed as you rolled past the battered old bench onto the dirt. Ham stood immediately from his position at catcher, noticing your arrival.

"(Y/N)s Here!" He exclaimed. The boys all waved to you and you waved back forcing a smile on your face as you walked your bike around to the dugout. You flopped onto the bench once you got there and leaned against one of the posts. The structure swayed a little, it was pretty old. "Want to hit a few?" Ham motioned to you, but you waved your hand signaling you just wanted to sit today. He nodded and pulled the mask back over his face.

"Hey sis." Yeah Yeah called jogging over. "What's up?" He was chewing a wad of gum like always and smiled wide when he saw you.

"Nothing, I'm fine, just tired." You replied as he sat next to you.

"You don't seem fine." Benny was walking over too now as the rest of the boys continued to play. You felt a smile tug at your lips at the sight of Benny, he could always cheer you up.

"Yeah Yeah," your brother agreed, "was it Phillips cause I swear I can take that kid if he tried to pull something." You and Benny both laughed at Yeah Yeah's determined face.

"I don't know Phillips hasn't been the best lately it's just..." You sighed trailing off, both boys looked lost nodding as they tried to keep up with what you were saying, but you were pretty sure they were both thinking about baseball. "You can go play, really, I'm okay."

"Alright." Yeah Yeah finally said, you could tell he was itching to get out there, "but if Phillips tries anything again, tell me and I swear I'll deck him." Yeah Yeah yelled, jogging back onto the diamond.

"You can go too," you turned to look at Benny.

"That's okay, I could use a quick break." He stretched his arms. You laughed.

"Since when did Benny The Jet ever take a break from playing baseball?" You raised an eyebrow at him while smiling. He shrugged, but was smiling too.

"You know you don't have to stay with him." He suddenly said looking more serious.

"I know but," you sighed again about to defend Phillips even though you really had no reason to, he wasn't a great guy, when suddenly Benny placed his hand on your cheek, turning your face towards his, and then paused the moment before leaning in and giving you a short, but amazing kiss. You felt blush creep up your neck and onto your cheeks.

"You don't have to stay with him." He repeated smiling wide. Suddenly you heard cheering from Ham.

"Did you guys see that?!" He exclaimed, "our man Benny got some." The rest of the boys were yelling and cheering too. You felt yourself blush harder as you smiled, staring down at the dirt, unable to look up at the team. You heard Yeah Yeah groan and you laughed a little. Finally Benny spoke.

"Come on guys lets play some ball." He jumped up off the bench, jogging to home plate, but not without looking back and flashing you a wide grin.