I could spot that hat from a mile away

Benny's POV

"Strike three. You're out smalls." I yelled.

Smalls whined under his breath and we continued to play the game. I guess we were in a very heated game because all of a sudden I heard the brush move and I saw a girl.

"Time out!" I called as I waved the boys over.

"What is it now, Benny" Ham whined

"There's a girl over there. Any of yous know who she is?" I asked, I've never seen her around the neighbourhood or in school.

"Who is she?" Yeah yeah said a little too loud.

"Quiet! I know as much as you boys. What do we do?" I said as I looked up at her.

"Just ask her what her name is." Scotty said.

"She's cute. I'll use my charm on her." Smalls said as he slicked his hair back.

"Just stop Smalls, you ain't using your charm on no girl yet. Scotty, I think you know what to do. You start talking to her. Ask for her name and... uhm... ask for - ask her if she likes baseball."  I broke the circle and Scotty walked to her.

Her Y/H/C glistened in the sunlight. She is perfect. I snapped out of my daze and watched Scotty as he approached her.

"I'm Scotty. What's your name?" Scotty practically yelled.

"My name is Y/N." She replied in the sweetest most melodic tone.

"Do you like baseball?" Scotty asked, again, practically screaming.

"Yeah, I love baseball. My dad plays baseball." She said.

We invited her for a game and boy was she good. I've never seen a girl play that well at baseball. After the game, she offered to buy us all ice cream and we all agreed. This girl was really hitting my sweet tooth.

We ordered and she paid and we sat down at a booth that was surprisingly big enough to handle all of us. We all said our thanks and dove into our ice creams. One question kept scratching at my mind: who was her dad? The question swirled around my head until I couldn't think straight anymore.

"Hey Y/N...You said you dad plays baseball..Does he play for the Major League?" As soon as I asked, her cheery face sorta dropped to a neutral position.

"Yeah, He plays for the New York Yankees.." She trailed off.

"What's his name?" Ham asked.

She sighed. "Roger Maris."

Gasps erupted from our booth while people looked at us like we're hooligans.

"Your dad is THE Roger Maris!" Smalls said.

"Yup, yes he is." She replied.

They all continued to ask millions of questions and I just continued to eat my ice cream and look at the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on.

It was almost sunset when everyone started heading home.

"Let me walk you home. I don't want you to go alone." I said.

"Are you sure? I wouldn't want to make you late or anything."

"I'm sure." I said in a confident manner.

We walked and talked and I found myself falling more and more in love with her.

"This is my house." She said as she pointed to a small condo.

"You live pretty close to me." I said with a chuckle.

"I had such a fun time with you and your friends." She said as she finally broke the silence.

"We had a lot of fun hanging with you too." I said. I wanted to see her again, I needed to see her again.

"Ask her on a date Benny, just ask already." I thought to myself.

I took a deep breath in and went for it.

"If you're not busy on Thursday, would you like to go to the park with me?" I exhaled, damn this is scary.

"Sure." She said with a shy smile, damn this girl is cute.

"Great, I'll...uh...pick you up at 3. Does that sound good?"

"Sounds perfect." She said as she waved goodbye and walked up the steps to her house.

~THURSDAY~

I straightened out my hair, my shirt, and my hat and made my way to her house. I walked up the step and took a deep breath in and the a deep breath out and I knocked. She opened the door and she looked so beautiful.

"You ready?" I asked.

"Yup!"

We talked all the way to the park and we sat down on a bench and I asked her all these questions about herself.

"So, your dad is a yankees player... What are you doing in the rinky-dink town in Cali?"

"Well, my parents are divorced and my mum lives here and my dad lives there. I live with my mum during the summer and I live with my dad and my step-mum during the school year."

We talked more and I really, genuinely feel like I am in love. We went to a diner and we had a more formal date. After, I walked her home as she asked me questions about my life. We arrived at her house and we said our goodbyes.

"I had such a fun time with you Benny." She said as she kissed me on the cheek and walked to her front door.

Damn Benny, you're such a lucky boy.

The summer consisted of more dates and me falling more in love with her every day.

The day before she was leaving arrived and me and the boys offered to help her pack.

"I can't believe you leaving tomorrow." Squints said, disappointed.

"Yeah." Said Yeah yeah

"It's not like I'm falling off the edge of the Earth. I'm just living in another state for a few months. I'll be back in no-time. I promise." She said in a cheerful tone.

I wish she didn't have to leave, but I can't kidnap her so I have to just let her go.

All her stuff was packed and we all said our goodbyes.I stayed behind for a bit.

"I'll come by tomorrow morning." I said as I left.

Tomorrow came and it was the day I was going to tell her how I felt. I knocked on her front door and her mum answered and called Y/N to the door.

"Hi Benny!" She said.

"I like you." I blurted out.

"What?"

"Y/N, I like you. Like, a lot. I really like you."

"Wow, I didn't think you felt the same way. I like you too, Benny the Jet."

We both blushed when my mum said that we were leaving. She looked down and then back up.

"Now, don't you fall for any other girls when I'm gone." She winked and gave me a big hug.

I helped her with her bags and as the car drove off we waved to each other.

The school year went pretty fast, I was counting the days to when Y/N would return.

The summer came and I was excited to see her beautiful face again.

Me and the boys were at the park when all of a sudden I heard my name and we all looked into the direction of the voice.

"Benny the Jet, is that you?" I saw Y/N and ran to her.

I lifted her into my arms and spun her around.

"How'd you know it was me?" I said with a huge smile on my face.

"I could spot that hat a mile away." She smiled.

I grabbed her face and kissed her. Fireworks were exploding in my mind. True love in its truest form.