4

Day 61
"Patient 643, it's time for breakfast." The sane nurse from the other day says coming into my room. I get up and follow the nurse to the cafeteria May following me. I see Melanie at a table and I begin walking to her table May close behind me, "Hey May." Melanie says to me smiling and bringing me into a hug. May smirks as she hears her name and I blush embarrassed but sit down across Melanie, who already grabbed my breakfast. "Thanks Mel." I say giving her a small smile, "of course!" She says, "how'd you sleep?" I shrug, "good enough I guess, how 'bout you?" "Um pretty good, I had a few nightmares though, but I always do so." I nod, "me too." I mumble. We're quiet as we eat, "Melanie, what do you want to do in the rec room?" She shrugs, "I'm not sure, you wanna play checkers maybe?" I smile and nod and a few minutes later we're heading to the rec room. Melanie May and I sat at a checker table and Melanie and I began playing. "No offense Melanie but why are you here? You're so normal." Melanie's expression changes to an uneasy one, "I'll tell you but you've got to promise that you'll hear me out." Melanie says I nod, "I was accused of killing my brother and my parents." Melanie says looking to the ground. "So What happened?" "Someone broke into my house and killed them..." I stare at her "I saw the killer May, no one believes me. I was always the weird girl in my family, and everyone said I did it. So they said I was crazy and I Was sent her." I look over to May and she gives me an unsure look, but I believe Melanie. I want to believe her. May senses this, "Be careful please." May says to me. Melanie and I finish up our game and I head back to my room. "643?" I hear a doctor say causing me to turn around, and see a doctor, "Yeah?" "I'm your psychiatrist Dr. Patterson." She says giving me a small smile. "Hi." I say to her. "Would you come with me? I need to ask you a few questions." she says. I nod and follow her to a door "So, What are you here for?" She asks me clicking her pen. "I see dead people." I say House loan have you been seeing them?" She asks fixing her glasses, "My whole life, but I just started to see the bad ones a little while ago." She nods and writes something down. "Do or did you ever have any friends?" "I have one but she's dead" I say, "What about Melanie? You guys seem to be getting along." She says. I nod, "I just don't trust her yet I barely know her." The doctor nods and writes something else down. "So tell me about your ghost friend." She says looking up at me with a small smile. I hesitate remembering that May was the reason I was here and I look over to her sitting next to me, "you can tell her honey." May mumbles. "Is she here?" Dr. Patterson asks me. I nod slowly, "she's always around me usually, she protects me." I explain. The doctor nods, "what's her name?" She asks me, "it's May." I say to her. "Why is she with you? How'd she find you?" "She used to live in the house I grew up in." "How old is she?" "She's 16 but she'd be 34 if she was alive." I feel May's hand lock with mine I could tell she was tensing up. I look at her, "I-I'm fine..." she mumbles looking down at her worn out blue converse. I look back up at dr. Patterson and realized she asked a question, "what?" "So she's the same age as you? 16?" I nod and she writes some shit down. "Tell me more about her." "She has the same thing I did, well had, when she was alive." I mumble, "what does she look like?" "She's tall with mid length blonde hair, green eyes pouty lips and a smile any guy would die for, she always wears a grey sweatshirt and blue jean shorts with worn out blue converse. That's basically what she looks like." I say. "How'd she die?" I feel May shift her grip on my hand tightening slightly so I look to her but she nods again, "she killed herself. Her parents were gonna send her here but she knew what was gonna happen to her so she did it. She didn't need to be here she was just so confused about this." I say looking up at May sadly, "she's trying to help me, she's always has been since I remember. She's my best friend." I say looking at May and I's intertwined hands. "What does she protect you from?" "Bad ghosts, or like demons I guess, they want to hurt me, they want me to hurt myself and they always try to scare me." I have to get to my next patient, would you like me to escort you to your room?" She asks. I nod and we walk back to my room. I can tell May is a bit uneasy so when the doctor closes the door so I pull her into a hug, "you okay?" I ask her carefully. She sighs as she hugs me, "I just...I don't like thinking about death. All I can see is the look on Abel's face when he found me, the way held onto me and cried, then seeing my parents, it all replays in my mind everytime I think about the day I died." She says. I look up at her sadly, "None of them could even see me, they didn't know what was going on and neither did I. I didn't even know I was dead until I saw my body, I was so confused." She says looking away from me, "I'm sorry May, I didn't want you to get upset." "It wasn't your fault she asked about me and you should've told her and you did so it's okay." She says.