III [speak of the devil]

If she hadn't been so exhausted from the night before, Canela would have cleaned the death of a mess in the kitchen

After peering at the monstrosity, she wondered if she were indeed deprived of sleep or just lazy.

Her left eyebrow rose almost leisurely with irritation.

"This doesn't go here." She grumbled, stepping closer to one of her steel pans placed on the counter adjacent to the stove.

Instead of rolling up her sleeves, Canela disrobed. Fully nude, she began washing her kitchen from top to bottom. She hated rolling her sleeves. The bleach would still somehow end up soaking her entire upper body. So Instead of a discolored satin robe, she preferred scarcely wet skin and dry fabric.

It was simple.

And she could simply do it for hours with a smile on her face.

The telephone chimed, interrupting Canela's even flow of cleanly bliss.

She hurried to answer it after tightening her robe. The water from the sink was still running.

Her index finger, matching the color of the telephone wavered slowly across the dial. She wondered if it were the strange man who bought her cocktail dresses or the city calling to let her know her grass needed cutting.

She answered it abruptly with closed eyes, wishing it was neither of the two.

"Rowe Residence, may I assist you with a room?"

Why she answered the phone wasn't a mystery.

"A room?"

"Why, yes." She answered, recognizing the husky voice. "I offer bed and breakfast services."

"I know, sweetheart. I'm not calling for a room unless that's what you want."

She didn't blush. She giggled, making sure he heard.

"What do you want?" She questioned.

"I'm heading to a party at seven o'clock."

"And?"

"I'd like you to join me."

This would make the second time her and him had hit the town together and if it would be anything like the last time, Canela would be better off in the house for the night.

She imagined how cozy she would be with or without him.

However, the sound of being with him sounded a hell of a lot better.

"Seven, yes?"

"...I'll be there on the dot. Hey, wear the dress I got you."

She hated the sound of the telephone ringing.

_______

"Mademoiselle," The burly man pronounced, opening his hand to assist his date as she stepped out of his black Mercedes.