4. Where she faces the tiger

'How?'

'What?'

'Why?'

'You have got to be kidding me. The only guy to annoy the shit out of me is the only person with a scent I find appealing from the get-go?!'

Thoughts firing one after another like a machine-gun, I find my fingers trembling at the discovery. The lipbalm makes a terrible chain of "clink-clanks" as it tumbles in a circular motion to the base of the polished, ceramic wash basin.  Immediately, my digits curl tightly unto the curving edge of the basin, turning white by the second as I come to terms with my scent preference for the tiger outside. Looking at my reflection, I take in the disgraceful blush parading shamelessly across the smooth, porcelain surface of my cheeks. I inhale deeply and force the flush away. Swirling treads of defiance ripple through my golden orbs seen across my reflection in the mirror. My body straightens itself, before I grab the now scentless lipbalm and walk out. The huge feline stands a metre from me, leaning against the wall where I left him.

"Done?"

The low baritone echoes from Anubis's throat, as he takes a step towards me.

"Mhm."

I hum a response, clear eyes blinking harmlessly at Anubis. For the first time since we have met, we stand and stare, objectively studying the other feline like strangers meeting for the first time. I must have bit my lip while deep in thought because the next thing I know, his right thumb ran along my pouty lips, soothing the soft flesh as his stroking movements prevent me from biting down. My brows wrinkle in a slight frown from the contact.

"You-"

I start, almost falling back into the arguing stance we had since the beginning before I change my mind and decide to get some answers.

"What do you think of our parents' arrangement?"

My lips brush against his fiddling thumb, for once, disregarding his invasion of my space. His thumb pauses at the corner of my lips upon hearing the question.

"It is what it is. I was never against nor for it."

He says factually without beating around the bush.

"Though I got to say that I am now leaning towards it positively than before. We all have to settle down one day, don't we? Plus, we are obviously compatible, at least based on our up-bringing."

He adds while his fingers extend along the left-side of my jawline and neck, with his thumb pressing onto the tip of my chin. His right hand holds my head in place, as though he doesn't want to miss any of my reaction after stating his stance. With my face bare towards the peering male, he catches a beautiful blush pushing through the surface of my fair cheeks. To which, he openly shows his satisfaction with a faint, genuine smile gracing his lips.

"You'd want to try it out with me?"

I question softly. Though it feels more like a question for myself than for him.

Do I want to try with him?

"Yes."

He responds despite knowing that I knew. At that point, I can't help pushing him slightly to tilt my upper body away from him. He let me pull away from his grasp, watching me contemplate with my eyes cast towards to ground.

"What if one of us change our minds? And, how is this relationship going to work?"

I look back at him.

"To get to know each other, let's date."

He simply voices.

"Exclusively."

He asserts a spilt second after, a streak of possessiveness reflects in his rich, amber orbs.

"And the moment one of us feels differently, we end it. No hard feelings, okay?"

I can't stop myself from adding, trying to leave an amicable way out, just in case.

"Okay. It's a deal, lil' tiger."

He firmly agrees, eyes turning vermillion with excitement as he reaches for me, pulling me into his embrace. The sudden, overwhelming scent of his surrounds my figure, making my heart pound and turning the tips of ears red. Anubis presses his face into the side of my neck where my scent gland is located, inhaling deeply only to stifle a groan after.

"I've wanted to do this since I saw you."

He murmurs into the curve where my neck meets my shoulder. The entire series of actions leave my body weak as I let him carry most of my weight, fingers clutching the upper sleeve of his suit that covers his biceps.

"You- T-this. This-"

I stutter while being tightly pressed against his chest while his unadulterated laughter echoes in the hallway.

"Cat got your tongue?"

He muses with a teasing lift of his right brow. Still standing within his arms, I feign a frown at his joke, pouting at the confident male, somehow feeling that my lack of dating experience leaves me at a disadvantage when interacting with him. Shrugging, I wrinkle my nose and tease, "Nah, you just don't smell great and I was unsure how to verbalise it."

"Oh really?"

He utters slowly.

"Then, we need you getting used to my scent ASAP. I remembered that having sex is the best way. You know, pheromones and what not."

He continues with a low drawl.

My face flushes furiously and large eyes buring incredulously at him as my right hand slap his arm in disagreement, "Y-you!"

"What? It's scientifically proven. Sex produces the highest amount of pheromones, enough to change your mind."

He jokes before using a hand to sooth me with gentle stroking motions across my lower back. Rolling my eyes at him, I ignore our previous banter and suggest, "Shall we go back?"

"Well, we can bail. After all, I have gotten what I wanted already."

He shrugs with a smirk.

Giving the irresponsible male a dirty look, I state the obvious, "Our siblings are still back there. Even if we wanted to leave, we have to let them know. Not sure on your end, but my sister isn't going to let me off for bailing on her just for you."

He gives me a 'sure-if-you-must' look while reluctantly releases his hold on me and offers an arm. Hooking my arm around his, we walk back to the private room.

We were a couple metres from the door, when a god-awful, high-pitched cry came from our left, "Anubis! It's so good to see you again. You should have stayed for breakfast the last time you were over."

In the distance, an annoyingly drop-dead gorgeous, exotic Were-lioness beauty stands at least 4 inches taller than me; Tatiana Ann Leo, the famous Hollywood actress slash princess of the Leo clan.

Seriously? You damn, manwhore couldn't have clean up your backyard before starting something with me?