Hatori Sohma x Reader

[Rain]

It was pouring; the sky seemed to be writhing in its sorrow, as did he. The raindrops continuously fell on his hair like awkward little children, clumsily. They stumbled, staggered and finally shattered against his once neatly combed hair. The raindrops, now mere shards, though gelid against his scalp, did little to soothe the aching fire inside his head. His heart still continued to beat and his life still continued to move forward. Why was he stuck? Why did his heart refuse to move on? Why couldn't he see past her?

Why did happiness not deem him a worthy enough companion? The cycle would always repeat: he hated himself for trying to forget how cursed and unlucky he was. Kana was a bright spring full of balmy winds and warm sunshine. She was his life and she brought with her the quaint whispers of the wind; the soothing promises of a better future where he wouldn't be alone.  Those beautiful hopes and pledges had him hanging on, yearning for a happier life. But nothing changed the fact that he was destined to be unhappy, unlucky and alone.

Kana was too good for him, and he had never been worthy of the love they shared.

Everyone was living and going through life with ease. No one seemed to see past his exterior, his facade. No one knew how much he was hurting inside and that was what broke him even more. He couldn't help it. He hadn't cried when he had cleared her memories or when she had gotten engaged to another man. But she was getting married tomorrow. And he couldn't stop a few tears from leaking. 

As his tears mixed with the sky's, he desperately tried to let some heartbreak and pain seep out. But it was futile. So he let more tears leak. And then more: he emptied the river of tears he had been growing since the past two years. But the pain stuck.

Why had the rain stopped all of a sudden? Why couldn't the sky share his sorrow-

He looked up to see a dark-coloured patchy umbrella over him.

A feminine voice. "Sir, please have this!"

His tears had dried up, leaving his cheeks stiff, he noticed.

He cleared his throat. "Sorry?"

A girl leaned towards him, holding the umbrella over him, "Sir, please have this umbrella. The rain is really cold and you're fully soaked!"

He looked at her, confused. "What about you?"

She shook her head, "No, no! Don't worry about me. I'll run home! It's not too far away from here and my clothes aren't too wet.. Kinda damp, but nothing severe! I'll manage!" She ushered the umbrella to him and he held it from her. He was still very puzzled.

She gave him a worried (?) smile, "I hope you are alright, too! Stay safe and dry up when you get home. Bye!" 

She wiped her palms at her trousers, which seemed pretty soaked to him, now that he observed her fully- and her shirt too! It was clinging to her like second skin. He stared dumbly as she began to run in the rain to God knows where.

The blurriness in his mind finally disappeared and he stood up, putting the umbrella on the bench. "W-wait!"
She didn't seem to hear him in the rain.

So, he grabbed the umbrella and ran after her.

He was a few steps behind her, "Hey! Please wait!"

The girl stopped in her steps, and turned around, "Oh, hello again!"

He held the umbrella over the two of them.

"Please take your umbrella! You are now fully soaked too and you'll get sick. Please take it with you. I am really grateful to you for worrying about me, but I will be taking my leave now."

She chewed at her lip, and his gaze finally shifted to her face. He noticed how mesmerising her eyes were; a beautiful (eye-colour). Her wet hair clung to her forehead. Her hair was wet and so were her clothes. She would become sick and it would be his fault! His heart sank. Why did people have to be nice to him when he didn't deserve it a bit?

The girl seemed to be deep in thought. 

Finally, she suggested, "How about we share this umbrella?"

"No. Please do not worry. I can walk home in this rain."

"Sir, your clothes are fully soaked and there's a tremor in your hand-" he looked down at his hand, which was, in fact, shaking. And he now realised how cold he felt - "so you really are cold. Please. My home is about a five minute walk away. We can walk there together and then you can go back with the umbrella. It suits us both."

"No, please-"

She looked at him pleadingly. "My best friend was out in the rain too long once and she got really bad pneumonia and she d-died. I don't want you to die. Please"

He froze in shock.

Unable to look her in the eyes anymore, he looked away, "I'm sorry. Alright, let's go."

It was odd how their walk wasn't awkward at all. Something about girl's presence seemed to calm him down and put him at ease. Maybe it was that mild perfume she was wearing or maybe the fact that she had been so utterly kind to him.

"I'm (Y/N) (L/N), by the way. And you are?"

He tested her name in his mind. "I'm Hatori. Hatori Sohma."

"What a nice name you have! Do your friends call you Ha? Or Ha Ha? Haha," she chuckled, then profusely apologised. "I'm sorry if I offended you in any way!"

His lips curled upwards for barely a fraction of a second, but she noticed his ghost smile.

"And are you a doctor? Or a scientist?"

"Doctor. How do you know?"

She gave him another smile, "Your lab-coat."

-

He stood in front of a dark grey building, standing under the same umbrella as her.

She turned to him and gave him a brilliant smile, which almost blinded the dark pits in his mind with light, "Thank you so much! Please travel back home safe, Hatori!"

He was unable to say anything, but he nodded.

"Bye, Ha Ha."

His lips curved upwards, "Goodbye (Y/N)."

He walked the rest of the journey home with a smile on his face. 

♡♡

As he lay awake in his bed at night, he smiled at the umbrella that lay folded on the table to his right. 

♡♡♡♡

A/N: Because Hatori deserves the entire universe?? And I love him so much??

I will most probably write a part 2 for this bc I really loved writing this, heh.

I hope you all liked it too! ♡