Chapter Three - Blue Eyes

I took a long sip from the mug, the hot coffee burning my throat on the way down

I took a long sip from the mug, the hot coffee burning my throat on the way down. I placed the mug back down on the table, maybe a little too forcefully as some of the liquid splashed over the rim. I stared as the coffee ran down the side of the mug, deep in thought about a certain blue-eyed waitress. 

"Jaime?" Cole snapped his fingers in front of my face, breaking me out of my trance.

"Did you just snap at me?" I glared at him across the table, which he ignored.

"Victor texted me. He's seen movement in the apartment."

I suppress the wicked grin that threatens to cross my face. Finally. "Let's head out." 

Cole held up a hand, eyes darting somewhere behind me. He lets out a high-pitched whistle and waves his hand, gesturing for the waitress with a wide grin on his face. I wanted nothing more than to slap that stupid grin off his face, preferably with my fist. I could hear her sigh as she made her way back to us.

"Yes?" She placed her hands on her hips, staring me down from the head of the table even though I wasn't the one that whistled at her. I shot Cole another glare before answering her, "Check."

"Already? Would you like your coffee to go?" She smirked, nodding at the mugs we hardly touched. Her words were meant to be mocking but when her eyes landed on me, I lost my retort. My eyes narrowed as I tried to place the exact shade of her eyes. They looked so familiar. "I'll be right back with the check."

I watched her as she walked away. Cole must've read the look on my face. "Maybe if we have time after, you can come back and-"

My jaw clenched. We did not have time for this. "Come on."

I stood from the booth, tossing a wadded bill on the table, as the woman rounded the counter with the check. I tried to discreetly search for a nametag so I could put a name to the face but found none. She opened her mouth, holding the bill out in front of her. Before she could say anything, I placed my hand on her shoulder and leaned down, her soft, black hair brushing against my cheek.

"Be careful going out." I'm not sure what prompted me to say it. Maybe it was the fact that she worked next to an apartment building full of dangerous people or that I didn't want an innocent person getting hurt. I mentally shook my head. It didn't matter to me whether she was safe or not.

"Thanks for the advice." My hand dropped back to my side when she took a step away, rolling her eyes. Her shoulders were tense and I could tell that her guard was up. The corner of my mouth quirked upward as I walked out of the diner and into the fresh air outside.

"Is the perimeter still clear?"

"Yes, police are redirecting traffic somewhere else tonight." Izaha answered. 

It was still dark and the wind cut through the warm air. I glanced down at my phone to the address that Victor sent. The apartment was only a couple buildings down from the diner. I ordered Izaha to stake out this street to make sure Ivan didn't slip through the front door. He gave me a knowing nod which meant he would watch the diner as well.